New doors, re use door frames in house renovation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating my parents' house and intend replacing the internal doors. Getting rid of crappy sapele 1980's doors and intend fitting oak doors instead.
Just wondering if I use the old door linings, what happens to the recess where the old latch plate is? Is the new plate fitted in the same place or is that piece of wood replaced. Surely the wood is mangled? Also, are the old hinges reused. I suppose I can sand the old frames and paint them, though one is badly scratched from cats.

Attachments

• 20210203_221725.jpg
    20210203_221725.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210203_222102.jpg
    20210203_222102.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
I'm renovating my parents' house and intend replacing the internal doors. Getting rid of crappy sapele 1980's doors and intend fitting oak doors instead.
Just wondering if I use the old door linings, what happens to the recess where the old latch plate is? Is the new plate fitted in the same place or is that piece of wood replaced. Surely the wood is mangled? Also, are the old hinges reused. I suppose I can sand the old frames and paint them, though one is badly scratched from cats.

If it was me, I would fit new linings.

I would assemble the lining and hang the door in the lining....then fit the lining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back