New drill required, but which

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive broke my 18V dewalt combi, i used it for drilling through joist, downlights and as a screwdriver.

I plan to use my sds for masonary so not bother about that feature.

basically anything that will sail through wood but light for partical use.

Im a sparky btw, so u can work out what i use it for.

Any help or personal preffs would be great.

cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
funnily enough that was the one i was looking at, how does it cope with wood bits, going through joists and making checks??

cheers man

i think it copes really well,i use mine to drill out forthe odd door lock but like any 18 volt drill i wouldnt use one constantly,when i could use my sds.

Sponsored Links
got the same one dont recommend them tbh batteries are c##p on them with not holding a charge. maybe its my own fault for not using it regular, but tbh i prefer the 18v Hitachi combo... just5 my opinion

david

really dps,how old is the drill?
mine is probably a year old?and so far no probs with the batteries.
holding there charge really well,but i still run them down as muh as possible(old school :rolleyes: )before i recharge them.

holding there charge really well,but i still run them down as muh as possible(old school :rolleyes: )before i recharge them.

You don't need to do that with lithium in fact the opposite is true they are better being topped up regularly and get damaged if fully discharged. In fact they often have cell protection where they prevent the battery getting fully discharged. Apologies if I've misunderstood your post and you actually have a nicad drill.

This is what im using and they work very well GSB18 VE-2LI
IMG_1458.jpg

Also got GBH36V-LI
IMG_1459.jpg

You don't need to do that with lithium in fact the opposite is true they are better being topped up regularly and get damaged if fully discharged. In fact they often have cell protection where they prevent the battery getting fully discharged. Apologies if I've misunderstood your post and you actually have a nicad drill.

i know you dont have to do that with the new type(lithium)batterys,but as my drill is used every day for various jobs,i just dont put them on charge instantly they lose it,i run them down a bit more before charging.

stelle,the 1st pic is the 1 i have,although with a 240v plug, ;)

The best I've used, and seen used, is the Makita 18v li-ion jobs. They're standard kit amongst most sparkies, plumbers and inside builders in this area.

I bought two dual sets for about £300 each; one impact screwdriver, one drill, 2 batts and one fast charger.

One in daily use for 18 months now (my assistant), one very occasional use (mine, since I mostly drive a desk now). Great bits of kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back