New extension - doing your own electrics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Currently having a new extension built, I heard you could do your own electrics (unqualified person) but a special building inspector had to come and check at each stage?

Does this route exist? How much does such an inspector cost.

Please see attachment for size of job.

Thanks

Attachments

• socket 3.pdf
    123.1 KB · Views: 332
Sponsored Links
There is the option of DIYing your own electrics
but you need to be competent - this means knowing all the wrinkles of BS7671. You are also going to need some calibrated test equipment.
IF the LABC can/will provide someone to check your work, they will expect you to be doing the design to code, and the installation to comply with all of the Building Regulations as well as BS7671.
You need to contact your LABC and have them confirm what they expect from you. And how much they will charge for the pleaseure. If you get it wrong then you are going to have to rip it out, re-install and that means replastering, etc etc.

HINT> LABC absolutely hate people taking this route. What they like/want is a registered electrician notifying they have completed and certified the works. This is done elecronically and its easy for them. DIY means lots of visits, bits of paper, lack of trust yuk yuk.....

Read up on it here https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:part_p:DIY-Electrical-Work-and-the-Law

The other issue is that you aren't going to be anywhere near as fast as an electrician, which may hold up parts of the the other work, which may p**s the builder off or increase his costs.

thank you for the reply taylor and ban-all-sheds.
The BO just came to check insulation - I was not in but my sister asked about DIY electrics. He said something about the cost being £500 but we could not put in a new CU - we had to run off the old one. Running off the old is not a great idea - it's just too far and no space anyway. Im not sure if she understood everything he was going on about.

Sponsored Links
The other issue is that you aren't going to be anywhere near as fast as an electrician, which may hold up parts of the the other work, which may p**s the builder off or increase his costs.
The block work is pretty much up. I have a chasing machine. I wanted to chase the cable in for the kitchen sockets etc so they can plaster.

Electrician seems to be charging a lot for what I think I can do myself to help save costs, such as all the chasing and putting in the back boxes.

Is it not possible to route most of the electrics myself and get an electrician to do the final connections?

we could not put in a new CU - we had to run off the old one. Running off the old is not a great idea - it's just too far and no space anyway. Im not sure if she understood everything he was going on about.

Your onld consumer unit will not comply with todays regulations, and will almost certainly need replacement.. If you do not know why then it is a sure sign that you should not be attempting the rest of the electrics.

I agree with the above re a possible way forward.
Electrician seems to be charging a lot for what I think I can do myself to help save costs, such as all the chasing and putting in the back boxes.
If you want to save on costs, then you may be able to ask the electrician to advise you what cables to put where, you chase out boxes, etc. Even where cables go is governed by regulations.

I did all my own and got in an Electrician to change the CU and cert the work.
Saved lots of time as did not have to hold up any works waiting for electrician as I was always on site [at home ] to do the work.

Your onld consumer unit will not comply with todays regulations, and will almost certainly need replacement.. If you do not know why then it is a sure sign that you should not be attempting the rest of the electrics.

Regulations are not retrospective. There is no reason to replace it for the sake of it.

Regulations are not retrospective. There is no reason to replace it for the sake of it.
Indeed. But I rather suspect that the extension will either have new circuits, and/or new sockets or concealed cabling, all of which will require RCD protection, which may not be a feature of the existing board. Maybe the OP can enlighten us on that point?

I did all my own and got in an Electrician to change the CU and cert the work.
Saved lots of time as did not have to hold up any works waiting for electrician as I was always on site [at home ] to do the work.
So your electrician lied to his CPS and to LABC when he notified that the work was his own?

I agree with the above re a possible way forward.

If you want to save on costs, then you may be able to ask the electrician to advise you what cables to put where, you chase out boxes, etc. Even where cables go is governed by regulations.

Thanks for reply Taylortwocities.
I think you misunderstood my post. The building officer said that we (as an unqualified person) are not allowed to add a NEW CU. He said however we can use the old one and do the rest of the electrics ourself. [Our old CU was actually replaced not so long ago with a metal one].

Indeed. But I rather suspect that the extension will either have new circuits, and/or new sockets or concealed cabling, all of which will require RCD protection, which may not be a feature of the existing board. Maybe the OP can enlighten us on that point?

I have attached a drawing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back