New False Ceiling And Lights Quoted Cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want a false ceiling in put in my kitchen size 3.2m x 2.3m, I also want spot lights put in. I've found it diffcult to find someone who do the complete job, so found a guy who was a plasterer who would lay the boards and skim, who knew an electician for the wiring who would do6 lights and chippy for the frame.

Total price quoted was £640 but that didn't include the light fittings so I need to get these on top, does £640 sound alot or would you say thats in the right ball park ? I know I should get more quotes but I struggled to get one in this case.

Sponsored Links
Best way is to get some more quotes but a job like this is so small & bitty so you may have real difficulty getting trades interested in quoting for it, as you’ve found; & when you do, you’ll probably pay premium for it. For what it’s worth my comments are;

Materials (wood plasterboard, plaster & even the cable) will cost less than £100.

Your plasterer may not want to build the frame but you don’t really need a chippy to do it although you may get charged for one. In any effect it’s going to be about the same but its very basic. Labour cost ½ day at, say, £100.

It’s a small ceiling but the plasterer has got to put up the ceiling boards, plaster skim & cut the light holes for the spark so, so in all probability, will charge you for a full day which isn’t unreasonable. Labour cost around £200.

Light fittings I would not expect to be included as they are dependant on personal preference & how many you want; this doesn’t affect the cost for the rest of it. Cost, down to you?

The problem with the electrics is that a kitchen is a special location so any work in there will need a Part P certified spark, testing, certification & paperwork to prove it; & if you’ve an old fashioned fuse board, in all probability he won’t connect to it anyway so that’s something you need to be very aware of. Labour cost anything from, say, £100 - £200 assuming your C/U is up to spec.

A quick sum leaves us with £500 - £600; bearing in mind what I’ve said, I don’t think what you’ve been quoted is outrageous; what do you think? But make sure you get the electrics certified!

i agree with richard c.

i have just completed one of these jobs today, however i will do the chippy work myself and board, skim etc.

However if new lighting is to be installed then in accordance with part p you will need an spark to either do this for you or to certify this for you as competently installed, either way it will cost you.

i dont think the qoute is unreasonable as he is getting different trades in to complete the job.

get at least three other qoutes before you decide. ask for references as the cheapest aint always the best.

good luck

just my tuppence worth, if you're only changing the light on the end of your existing wiring and putting a transformer onto it with mini spots attached, from my understanding you are not technically changing a wiring circuit and may not need part P sign off?

would like to hear what anyone has on this area as i would like to know where to draw the line with regards electrics, at the moment if i was asked to do this job i'd do the same as spongey, stick the timber up, board it, skim it and leave the rest for the sparky.

Sponsored Links
also worth drawing the ceiling on graph paper with the light position verified to save finding a bit off 2x2" where you want a light lol ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back