New flat roof - Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg

Hi every body

Four weeks ago I had a new flat roof installed on my garage due to a fire including new boards, joists, felt etc etc.

After 3 weeks all the boards in the roof are covered in black mould. I spoke with the roofer who said this is normal as it was raining when he did the work. He suggested I treat the mould and it will be ok.

I'm concerned that the roof has not been installed correctly. Should I be worried? Any ideas?

Thanks -picture of boards below

Sponsored Links
Would you normally insulate a garage flat roof?
The mould does seem excessive - is the garage open to a utility room/kitchen, or is vapour getting in some other way, perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for all your replies. The garage does have a double air brick.

The garage is in a block. Not attached to a dwelling etc.

I've always had a garage in a block and never had a problem
Like this before. I'm still thinking it has not been installed correctly? as there is no mould on the joists. Surly if condensation was a problem it would be on them also?

I also have a few odd bits of wood in the garage with no mould on

Again any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Black mould spotting can't form on penetrating water. It can only result from condensation. That's why it can't be a defect and that's why insulating the deck would have prevented it.

I have never had that issue, what was the roof before and what is it now ie. felt grp rubber?

Hi. It was felt before and felt now.

I've never had this problem either.

I'm sure the roof hasn't been installed correctly.

Maybe the plywood is crying? Maybe it wanted to spend its life used as an exposed soffit getting an occasional cheeky glimpse down ladies cleavage's but instead it faces a life in the dark in a cold and wet garage?

I've just seen this on the BBC:

"South West Water customers should drink bottled water until further notice."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back