New floor covering over bitumen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your advice will be much appreciated please.

Some 20 years ago I had the ground floor entrance and corridor (part 'encaustic'(?), part quarry tile) in our Edwardian house covered with about 1/2 inch layer of hot melt bitumen. The old floor was in not very good condition and was potentially damp. I have had loose lay Heuga tiles down ever since then. I now want to have Amtico or something similar throughout the area; I have asked Amtico if this is technically possible but have not had a reply. I do not want to remove the bitumen, which is in good condition and very smooth, and I am not over keen on raising the floor height much further. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for a lightish coloured, relatively thin, hard wearing floor covering, to be professionally laid?

Many thanks for your help with this last major task on renovating our house.

Sponsored Links
I don't see any reason to lift the bitumen - old parket floors were always laid on bitumen. Fixing flooring with adhesive on bitumen might be a bit of a problem though - need to check the adhesive is suitable.

Easier option might be a floating floor? i.e. bog standard laminate from your local dealer - I don't mean the cheap stuff - good quality floating laminate is very durable.

I heard that If you put tiles on top of bitumen without removing the bitumen first the bitumen seeps through the grout giving you black spots in the grout.

Is this true? If so What is the best way to remove the bitumen?

Sponsored Links
lazerjules said:
What is the best way to remove the bitumen?
Kerosene, get low odour type if you can.

Put it on bitumen until it start to get watery then wipe it off with a rag.

Olive Oil will remove it but take longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back