New flooring and new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my lounge scratch coat and skimmed, this was finished 8 days ago and the ceiling and walls are drying nicely. How long would you think I have to wait until an engineered oak floor can be laid? How long do the boards need to acclimatise in the room? Also, does it matter that the room is not heated at the moment?
How long would it take a professional to fit 17 sqm of engineered floor? Just so i can gauge how long it will take me to fit!!!
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If the plaster has not dried, which it wont have as it can take 6 weeks, depending on drying conditions and depth of base coat.
I would not risk fitting the flooring, as you will still have lost of moisture in the room.

6 weeks? I was hoping to be back in the room for Christmas!! Would you say 6 weeks from the day the plasterers left? Should I get some heat in the room to help it dry out?
I will see if I can see how thick it is but I know it had 2 sand and cement coats for sure and then the skim on top.

Needs warmth to dry out quicker, but do not overkill it!
Common mistake especially when painting is not to leave plaster to dry out.
It's not a two day wait, takes time for all the moisture to go, would give it a good couple of weeks in warm conditions and again would depend on depth of coats.

Sponsored Links
What was the sub floor base that was screeded over? Was floor checked for a damp proof membrane

The floor t&g 22 chipboard with vcl, 150mm king span, dpm, concrete and hardcore in layers underneath. The concrete was poured last November so the floor is definitely dry!!
Would I be able to check the moisture levels in the walls? Would that give me a good indication of when I can lay the floor?
I am sure the floor is going to move once it is fitted as a wood burning stove is then going in....
It's going to be a floating floor and I am going to leave off fixings the skirtings for a couple of months so it will be easier to fix any movements in the floor.
Thanks again

You can check moisture readings for the room in question but it's complicated and requires many readings over a period of time with a hygrometer, Not a moisture meter !! So....

Heat the room gently to begin with and try to keep it constant, open windows when you can to let moisture escape and not condensate. Increase the heat gently over a few days,, too much heat will crack your new render/plaster, so increase it very gradually.

It would take me 1 day to fit 17 square metres of new T&G flooring so maybe allow 2 for yourself.

Enginneered flooring is quite forgiveing by design but don't acclimatise it now, wait until you are ready to fit and keep and expansion gap a few mm less than the thicknes of your skirting.

Wait a few more weeks if you can before fitting the floor..

I am more than happy to leave the floor and fit it the weekend of 17 November so that gives me another 3 1/2 weeks of drying time... At the moment it has the 2 sash windows open about 4 inches each all day and night.
How long should I have the wood in the room before fitting? Say a delivery on the Tuesday for fitting on the Friday/ Saturday?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back