New French Doors on Garage - Do i need support during install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hoping you can assist with a question on support lintel.

I am planning to cut and install French doors an a detached single brick garage. The is a new build property and will be adding the door to the back of the wall so not the side walls doing most of the support.

I have had a few builders come around however they are to busy at the moment and the soonest I can even get a price is apparently 4 weeks so I want to try give it a try myself.

I plan to fit a 1790(w)x2090(H) UPVC door
I plan to use a 2100 concrete lintel

My question is if I cut just the lintel hole and fit the lintel and mortar in place and let dry before cutting the rest of the hole will I need to use supports above the lintel before I even cut the hole?

If it is not recommended then would 2 supports be enough ?

Also from research it would seem I do not need to get building regs submitted ? As part of my purchase I do have written agreement from original builders to install a door as long as building regulations are met.

The red is the planned lintel height (approx. not exact)

Many Thanks,
Shannon

Sponsored Links
The wall is not load bearing.

If a cavity wall, I would fit a Catnic Lintel or two concrete spanlites. If half brick wall, either an angle piece of steel or a concrete spanlite. I would just use a strongboy in the middle to take the bead load off.

When you cut the opening, ideally you will need to remove all the cut bricks on either side of the new opening and rebuild with clean edges of bricks. Saw cuts never go as straight as you think and the perps won't be plumb. You could fit the doors on the outer leaf and trim off to hide the cut but you will just need to install wider vertical DPC. The DPC should be fitted fully across the saw cut of the brick and folded round into the cavity. Fit the doors and silicone down the edges to the DPC before trimming any excess. Any water getting in jst goes round and into the cavity.

My question is if I cut just the lintel hole and fit the lintel and mortar in place and let dry before cutting the rest of the hole will I need to use supports above the lintel before I even cut the hole?
Errr no, the lintel is the support!

A concrete lintel will look crap

Sponsored Links
As will a uPVC door ...
Alright Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, I think a timber or aluminum would look more out of place as they'll have PVCu windows and doors everywhere else.

Aww it's nice to see a wet verge and ridge.

Alright Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, I think a timber or aluminum would look more out of place as they'll have PVCu windows and doors everywhere else.
They might not have. And it's never too late to replace them.

I see myself more as Gabrielle Blackman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back