New front door quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone

Looking at having a new front door fitted not feeling up to fitting it myself as it is something I would not feel confident doing.

I would like some advice on quotes and type though as at the moment all I have had is pushey sales people trying to give the hard sale.

From what I have read composite is better than upvc I get that, the cheapest quote I have had from a local company who visited me was £1200 fitted however if I look online I can see them for less than £1000 fitted from online company's.

The reason for a new front door is presentation and to stop the draught I get now. My missus does not really like the wood effect look which looking at most composite doors they all look like that?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing that you haven't tried ratedpeople.com ?

You can set your budget, ans the workers have their own ratings too. Free of charge too.

Or better yet, find out locally if anyone has had one put in, and get a professional joiner to quote you.

I'm very aware of ratedpeople and mybuilder and the likes. However filling in information there is just like contacting safe style or Anglian homes someone will contact you trying to sell you something and not trusted to give impartial advice. If all they fit is composite doors they will tell me why they are much better than upvc and if they only fit upvc they will tell me why they are better than composite.

I was posting here in the hope someone who fits door possibly but is not selling to me will give some advice knowing at the end of it they are not getting a sale so should be honest.

Holy Cow whatever you do stay away from rated people and the like. Internet prices are there to draw you in so I'd take those with a pinch of salt tbh. Some window boys will prolly be along at some point. Worth doing a thorough search for other threads in the windows section of the forum using some key words like composite and front etc though, plenty of threads on composite doors and the like.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried some local window company's? or asking friends and family for recommendations on facebook can be good.
Composite doors do all have the wood effect look and in my and most peoples opinion do look better than a standard PVC door but they are usually a couple of hundred pounds more than PVC.
Pro's are they are stronger, Look better, More secure and generally need less/no adjustments in their lifetime.
Con's I cant really think of any except the added cost.

Surely the decision should be whether you want a poxy, high, dirt-trap threshold that comes with bland plastic doors, rather than whether it's wood grain or not?

Ratedpeople? Lol

How bad is the door you have at the moment? Unless it has rotton to bits and has hole in it, is it really that bad?

This is one of those situations where people decide to bin/replace somthing just because they do not think there is a solution available to fix it.

If your current door is draughty, then fit a series of draught exculders. It will probably cost £100+ if you get someone to do it or much less if you do it yourself.

Fit some letterbox draught excluders, keyhole covers, threshhold strip/bar and door surround draught exluders. If you do it yourself it may cost only £30ish.

Give the door a sand and a lick of paint before you do it and hey presto, a new looking door without draughts.

The only people telling you that you need a new door to get rid of draughts....is the door companies!

when it comes to trust a trader and similar companies
never ever trust any company unless they fully vet the traders and there feed back
non do they are money making machines
you get close to zero protection
you get close to zero impartial advice
you get close to zero helpful guidance
you give a trader bad feedback it is not posted
the only feed back posted is any "positive" which are pretty much unchecked

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back