New Garage Electrics

seahawk2nigel said:
HI all - its me again.
Generally this is an answer for gary69, but also information for all who wishes to read it.
:idea:
To be a member of a competent persons scheme, That person has to SELF CERTIFY his/her own work. He/she must therefore produce either a minor works certificate or an electrical installation certificate for the works he/she completed.

It is currently illegal for anyone to install equipment without doing this. It is actually a criminal ofence to install equipment and not self certify it. (PART P - JANUARY 2005).
This act also carries a £5000.00 fine if one is caught. :(
I could actually telephone the police (not that I would) and they could arrest people if it was known that they were installing illegally, as I said earlier - It is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE! :eek:

I, as a contactor cannot test another mans work - unless that work already has a certificate to say that it has been certified by another person first! or if the work was completed before January 2005.

Then the inspection that I would be undertaking is known as a Periodic Inspection and ultimately I would produce a Periodic Certificate for the circuits that I test.

Hope this is helpfull.

I am a competent qualified electrician. I do not pay fees to anybody. My work is up to BS7671. Could you get me arrested?

Sponsored Links
seahawk - why are you here giving out "advice" which is so flawed that it shows that you've either not read anything about the topic, or if you have you didn't understand it?

seahawk2nigel said:
To be a member of a competent persons scheme, That person has to SELF CERTIFY his/her own work. He/she must therefore produce either a minor works certificate or an electrical installation certificate for the works he/she completed.
No - the self-certification of which you speak relates to compliance with the Building Regulations. There is no requirement to issue a MEIWC or an EIC.

It is currently illegal for anyone to install equipment without doing this. It is actually a criminal ofence to install equipment and not self certify it.
This is so inaccurate that it beggars belief. Please go away and read Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004 and see what it says about work done by people who cannot self-certify.

This act also carries a £5000.00 fine if one is caught.
That is true, but people should think about where, on a scale of 1 to faulty-structures-that-collapse-and-kill-people, or 1 to firetraps-that-kill-people, failing to notify work that should be notified falls. Also please note that LABCs only prosecute as a last resort - they will try to negotiate regularising the work first, unless the contraventions are really egregious.

I could actually telephone the police (not that I would) and they could arrest people if it was known that they were installing illegally,
In theory they could, but they would first want to be pretty sure that an offence had been committed - they would not just take the word of some ignorant Joe Public who phoned them.

as I said earlier - It is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE!
What you said earlier was "It is actually a criminal ofence to install equipment and not self certify it. "

That's rubbish.

I, as a contactor cannot test another mans work
Of course you can. Have you never looked at the full version of the BS 7671 EIC?

unless that work already has a certificate to say that it has been certified by another person first!
Whilst it is reasonable, given the order in which the actual events happen, to expect the design to be certified first, and then the construction, and then the testing, I don't think there is a formal requirement for this, and certainly there is nothing in the declaration that any of the three parties make that cross-references the others.

or if the work was completed before January 2005.
What on earth do you think happened on that date that affects whether or not you can carry out inspection and testing of an installation?

Then the inspection that I would be undertaking is known as a Periodic Inspection and ultimately I would produce a Periodic Certificate for the circuits that I test.
Yes - if you'd been retained to carry out a PIR. If you'd been asked to carry out I&T and to complete the I&T sections of an EIC, and all you did was a PIR I think you'd find that you'd not get paid...

Hope this is helpfull.
Taken as a whole it's complete b*ll*cks.

He/she must therefore produce either a minor works certificate or an electrical installation certificate for the works he/she completed.

Perhaps you should inform all the firms around the country that ALL their electricians and apprentices must now complete and sign off the bit of the installation they did.

As Ban said "..it's complete b*ll*cks"

F.A.O Ban-all -sheds and as an after thought- Qedelec...

You really dont understand our industry! I feel that you should go away and update your knowkedge on almost ALL aspects of what your saying.

Okay - I think I have someone here who feels that he knows it all.

I am attempting here to educate people with information that is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Let me attempt to explain this again....

Firstly I think we have cross purposes on what self certification is all about. I shall attempt to explain the system to you.

Hypothetical...I come to your home to install a shower circuit. I DESIGN, CONSTRUCT AND TEST this circuit. On completion I produce an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) for the works that I have done. I then register this job on line with the NICEIC, ELECSA or BRE whichever organisation that I am with and in turn they will contact the Building Control to ensure the work has been registered and all protocols are met. The Building control then sends to you a letter confirming that the work completed has been registered and completed to the standards necessary.

It is here that I need to highlight one of your comments..

This is so inaccurate that it beggars belief. Please go away and read Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004 and see what it says about work done by people who cannot self-certify
No - the self-certification of which you speak relates to compliance with the Building Regulations. There is no requirement to issue a MEIWC or an EIC.

If sir you are up with the current edition of the BS7671 (Wiring Regulations in case you don't know) the section 711-01-01 and 741-01-01 and 741-01-03 quite clearly states that people should test their own work and certify if by producing certificates.
You cannot get someone else to test your work as to give an electrical installation certificate, that person must have undertaken the three stages…that is, the Design, Construction and Inspection and Testing. This is a FACT!

I could ridicule you further sir, but I am not in the mood for having an email war with you.

I am a lecturer and teach both the 16th edition wiring regulations and also Inspection and testing. If you are as qualified as you attempt to make out, then surely you would have both these qualifications, and hence you wouldn't be making thee ridiculous comments.

Further more, I have attended seminars with the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (OPDM) on Part P and Notifiable works...

SO YES I DO KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

DONT BOTHER TO REPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING POSITIVE TO SAY AND NOT ABSOLUTE RUBBISH.

Sponsored Links
seahawk2nigel said:
You really dont understand our industry!
It seems I understand some aspects of it better than you.

I feel that you should go away and update your knowkedge on almost ALL aspects of what your saying.
If you can prove to me, by reference to facts rather than your flawed beliefs, that what I was saying was wrong, then I will do so.

Okay - I think I have someone here who feels that he knows it all.
No, not all, just some things.

I am attempting here to educate people with information that is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.
No - you are here giving people information that is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT.

Let me attempt to explain this again....

Firstly I think we have cross purposes on what self certification is all about.

I shall attempt to explain the system to you.

Hypothetical...I come to your home to install a shower circuit. I DESIGN, CONSTRUCT AND TEST this circuit. On completion I produce an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) for the works that I have done. I then register this job on line with the NICEIC, ELECSA or BRE whichever organisation that I am with and in turn they will contact the Building Control to ensure the work has been registered and all protocols are met. The Building control then sends to you a letter confirming that the work completed has been registered and completed to the standards necessary.
Yes - that's correct - where are we at cross purposes regarding self-certification?

I do hope that you don't think we are at cross purposes because you don't understand the difference between certifying compliance with BS 7671 and certifying compliance with the Building Regulations.

It is here that I need to highlight one of your comments..

This is so inaccurate that it beggars belief. Please go away and read Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004 and see what it says about work done by people who cannot self-certify
I wrote that in response to you writing "It is currently illegal for anyone to install equipment without doing this. It is actually a criminal ofence to install equipment and not self certify it."

I invited you to read the law. If you have now done so, please quote the relevant section where it says that it is an offence to install equipment and not self-certify it.

If sir you are up with the current edition of the BS7671 (Wiring Regulations in case you don't know)
Yes I do know that, thank you, but I don't mind you putting it in your explanation if it helps you remember it.

the section 711-01-01 and 741-01-01 and 741-01-03 quite clearly states that people should test their own work and certify if by producing certificates.
Indeed they should, if they are working to BS 7671, which is not mandatory. And to forestall any more inaccuracies from you, and in a (probably vain) attempt to stop you from making yourself look even more foolish, if you think that working to BS 7671 is mandatory, please quote the legislation which says so.

You cannot get someone else to test your work as to give an electrical installation certificate, that person must have undertaken the three stages…that is, the Design, Construction and Inspection and Testing. This is a FACT!
Is it indeed?

Then what do you make of the FACT that there are two versions of the BS 7671 EIC. One where one person signs for Design, Construction and Inspection & Testing, and one where up to three different people sign separately for Design, for Construction and for Inspection & Testing?

I could ridicule you further sir
No you couldn't.

However you could quite easily, I'm sure, make yourself look more ridiculous by persisting in making claims that are not borne out by the facts and which everyone else knows are false.

but I am not in the mood for having an email war with you.
I see. Are you sure you're not just preparing for the situation where you have to abandon your previous claims when it finally dawns on you that you were wrong?

I am a lecturer and teach both the 16th edition wiring regulations and also Inspection and testing.
Well I hope for the sake of your students, and ultimately the public, that you know more about those subjects than you do Part P of the Building Regulations.

If you are as qualified as you attempt to make out
Please produce a quote which shows that I have claimed any particular qualifications.

then surely you would have both these qualifications, and hence you wouldn't be making thee ridiculous comments.
If you want ridiculous comments, try these:
It is actually a criminal ofence to install equipment and not self certify it.
I could actually telephone the police (not that I would) and they could arrest people if it was known that they were installing illegally
I, as a contactor cannot test another mans work
What I did was to point out that these were incorrect or misleading - I didn't make any ridiculous comments.

Further more, I have attended seminars with the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (OPDM) on Part P and Notifiable works...
And did they actually tell you that it is a criminal offence to install equipment and not self certify it? Or were you not paying attention?

And do you not think that if you want to tell people about the law that you should actually take the trouble to learn about it first?

SO YES I DO KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
You may well know about the Wiring Regulations, and Inspecting and Testing, I can't comment on that.

But it seems pretty clear that you do not understand the relationship between the Building Regulations and the Wiring Regulations, you do not understand the difference between who can self-certify compliance with the former and who can certify compliance with the latter, you do not understand what the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations are and you do not (surprisingly) seem to understand the structure of the full-length EIC.

DONT BOTHER TO REPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING POSITIVE TO SAY AND NOT ABSOLUTE RUBBISH.
I have something positive to say: Please improve the accuracy of information on this forum by ceasing to give advice on subjects where your knowledge is insufficient.

And please don't try to avoid criticism of your flawed pronouncements by dismissing any analysis of them as absolute rubbish and requesting that such analyses not be posted.

Sorry can,t resist this one,

Seahawk is not only a leading authority on electrical matters but it seems he is also an expert on criminal law!!!!!

Commiting a criminal offence does not always mean it is an arrestable offence ;)

Insulated handcuffs! now thats an idea.

oldfart said:
Sorry can,t resist this one,

Seahawk is not only a leading authority on electrical matters but it seems he is also an expert on criminal law!!!!!
Yes - and to the same level of expertise! ;)

Commiting a criminal offence does not always mean it is an arrestable offence
I was careful to initially respond "In theory they could, but they would first want to be pretty sure that an offence had been committed - they would not just take the word of some ignorant Joe Public who phoned them.", and then later to describe it as ridiculous, rather than wrong.

In 19 days time, Section 110 of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 will come into force, and that amends police powers to make all criminal offences arrestable.

However, on looking at the text of Section 110 (another law for you to study, seahawk, if you want to make accurate statements based on it ;) ) it would appear to be extraordinarily unlikely that any of the reasons a police officer would need to arrest someone without a warrant would arise in the case of someone breaking the Building Regulations by failing to notify LABC in advance about notifiable work they were doing in their own home.

So I think it safe to say, that for all practical purposes, that statement by seahawk was wrong.

I really do hope he knows more about the subjects he teaches than he does this, and I hope that the courses he covers are limited to the Wiring Regulations, and Inspection & Testing, and don't stray into Part P of the Building Regulations, and the concept of self-certification schemes.

Mind you - even then he's giving his students bum information regarding the 3-section EIC.

Stoday said:
crafty1289 said:
:LOL: ban's met his match!

I thought he was winning. Seasquark has to go some to get even on points.
I don't regard it as a competition - just trying to point out inaccuracies in what people say, lest they mislead others.

Can someone advise me please? I am qualified as an electrician but left the trade 5 years ago to try something new. Can i self certify my own installation or do I need to get a 3rd party in?

It's not enough to be right, Ban. You have to win the argument too.

Tony B was wrong about Iraq but he won the argument.

gary79 said:
In reply to Nigel, am I able to self certify my own work?
Why are you asking him? ;)

. . . . .
divider2a.GIF

Stoday said:
It's not enough to be right, Ban. You have to win the argument too.
I'll see what I can do.

Tony B was wrong about Iraq but he won the argument.
I'm not so sure about that....

gary79 said:
In reply to Nigel, am I able to self certify my own work? I haven't been working as an electrician for 5 years now but I am still fully qualified with all the paperwork just a bit rusty. Do you have to be a member of a registered company to self certify work?
You need to be a member of a competent person scheme (NICEIC, ECA, NAPIT etc) in order to self ceritfy your own work complies with part p.
Also, do you think the council is at fault to allow me to install electrical circuits and so on? I am even more confused as to where I stand. Sorry to be such a pain!
The alternative method other than self certification is to notify LABC building control before starting work, pay their fee and let them oversee the installations compliance with part p.

you dont mess about ban! I'd only just typed reply then amended it! Can anyone advise me please? Need to get this work done before christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back