New garage roof leaking at main house wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In the late summer, I had a local builder completely rebuild my garage roof (it was full of woodworm and leaking, mainly near the house wall). He then got a flat roofing firm in to refelt it. He told me cutting in the flashing would be tricky due to the house having uneven stone cladding (Pic1). When he did the lead work, he filled in the gap between it and where the cladding ends (Pic2) with lead sealant. When it rained heavily, some rain was still getting in down the wall (it's south-west facing and only a mile from the sea) and dripping onto the wall plate (Pic3) and shelving below, so I got him back twice and he just applied more lead sealent in the gap above. He also hinted he would be reluctant to come back again.
Well, the weather has got worse and there are still one or two areas that leak. I have gone up there and stuck some flashband on above the leaks (Pic4), but that hasn't worked. I feel pretty fed up that I have forked out good money for a new roof but still have water getting in my garage and that the new timber will eventually rot. I know it's not the new roof itself that's leaking but rather the edge of it, but I don't know whether it's reasonable to expect him to resolve it, or if I should just stop flogging a dead horse and either find another DIY solution (?) or get someone else in to have a look.
Any thoughts on possible solutions and/or best course of action would be much appreciated.

A very Merry Xmas to you!

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/new-garage-roof-leaking-at-main-house-wall.449342/#ixzz3vEPczMrA

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
A good if semi permanent solution......when the wall dries out a bit, give the joint a good thick layer of MKM's Evercryl....... a fibre based brushable solution which can work wonders in situations like this. This stuff sticks beautifully to everything except moss.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back