New gas fire needed - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a Magiglo Elite ME16T gas sitting in my fire place (i've just moved into this house). It does not work and needs to be replaced. - confirmed by a CORGI engineer. You can see a picture of the fire here:

http://www.sydenhamracketsports.co.uk/fire_web.jpg

As you can see the fire does not have a surround or hearth.

I'm looking for advice in terms of the best low cost way to replace this unit. I've done some searching on the web and it looks like the model is no longer made. The space for the fire measures 41cm wide, 64cm high and at the deepest point is 23cm. Presumably i will need to buy a hearth and and some sort of surround.

Many thanks for advice

cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
if you are looking for LOW cost AND safe, seal off the chimney and get an electric fire. Many old chimneys are not up to spec, mechanically unsound and leaking. To get a gasfire installed fully compliant with current regs will probably cost you a bundle.

well lets assume the chimney is fine as the house was built in the 1960s.

My experience is that nothing in London is safe until proven otherwise. My record is 3 calls to transco to disconnect before lunch time. And before anyone asks, all 3 were on an annual safety check rota.

Sponsored Links
I take it the corgi guy who confirmed it cut you off because that fire is in a dangerous condition...
Don`t bother going for same type of fire again as they are really inefficent and will cost you a fortune to run it.
Go for one of the mainstream manufacturers baxi ,valor, flavel.. they have a wide choice and parts will be avialable for years.

Get fire disconnected and removed and chop out the chair brick that way you can have a full depth inset fire. keep away from focal point fires and the likes of that you get in BQ Wckes etc. And you will need a hearth as the fire should not be fitted as it is at present

thanks for your reply. The Corgi guy just said it was dead and not worth trying to get it fixed. He mentioned some parts of it had melted. How much should i budget to get a new fire, hearth surround etc? Including installation. I was hoping to get it all done for around £500 or am i being too optimisitc?

thanks.

How long's a piece of string :eek:

Depends on quality/type of new fire and what sort of fire surround and hearth you want.

I charge about £300 + VAT to fit complete plus all materials (fire and surround etc)

ALLOw 350 for your fire. will last yo 10/15 years.. All depends whether yo fit hearth and surround yourself and if it is acceptable. And if pipe is in correct position. Hav e a look at plumbcentre surrounds and marble reasonable quality and price you see is price you pay

there is gas supply right next to the fire.

this is a stupid question i think but presumerably i'm restricted in terms of the fire i get by the dimensions of the space the current dead fire occupies?

41cm wide, 64cm high and at the deepest point is 23cm.

Just looking the internet around the width seems to be an issue. - too small.

can anyone suggest a fire for circa £300 that will fit the current space?

thanks.

Don't thi k you'll get away with 300 for the fire and 300 for fitting. You could also be looking at 300+ plus for parts and hire, if the chimney needs a new liner or the gas carcass needs uprating...
etc etc etc

FFS.Do we really have to wipe your ass for you , i have Gave you makers to look at . Do a search yourself also told you to take chair brick out and just about every fire will then fit. As back panel of surround will dictate opening

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back