New Gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to replace a wooden garden gate 6 ft high and 3 ft wide, solid construction with no gaps etc.
Does anyone have any recommendations for suppliers as I don’t really want to resort to one of the diy sheds.
I don’t mind paying for quality but ideally I’d like to spend around £150.
Also a recommendation for a good treatment for the gate would be great.

Sponsored Links
There are several suppliers on eBay although I can't comment on quality
I have been looking for one as well

I bought a softwood FLB M&T external door, and used it as a gate. It must have lasted ten years or so before the joints came loose, due to repeated wetting and drying, and the T&G rotted along the end-grain at the bottom. It's about 20 years old now and I've tried racking it tight and screwing.

I have an additional one now, and have used a better water-repellent preservative. If I get round to it I'll add a lead or timber cap, and weatherbars to help throw the water off. I think it would have lasted better if I'd boarded the "inside" surface with WBP or something to keep the rain away from the ledges.

you need to use stainless hinges and screws. Factory nails and staples will soon rust.

If you can add a lych or something to keep the rain off it will last better. This might be done with an extended head on the frame, which also holds it more rigid.

I use a spirit-based wood preserver which contains fungicide and insecticide.

Various brands include Cuprinol and Wickes own-brand. It soaks in, which water-based fence stains don't, and leave the surface water-repellent. The "safety datasheet" will tell you which chemicals they contain. You have to stir and shake them frequently as the pigment sinks.
example
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Ronseal-Shed+Fence-Preserver---Green-5L/p/155183

Last edited:
I bought mine off ebay from seller gatefactory01 - really happy with it. It's been over a year so very early but still in excellent nick.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
fence panels don't warrant a wood preserver. being so thin, they are either saturated with water (during rain) or dry (after sun) so spend little time at the idea level of dampness for rot to thrive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back