New Heat only open flued Boiler - Any Suggestions???

Client said they are exempt from having a condensing boiler as the building backs onto the Church yard.
Nothing about churchyards in the Exceptions Guide!!

It is an exemptions GUIDE for standard situations.
If you know all the legislation like the back of your hand, you can install whatever you want anyway; plenty of loopholes.

You can't even double glaze the existing window frames in fully listed building, let alone drill a hole in the wall to fit a steaming plastic pipe.

Forget the graveyard, nobody there will complain, it is the listing issue that is important

Sponsored Links
Keston use plastic drain pipes for dual tube flues. It has to be the high temperature plastic pipe, I think it is mPVC. A few other makers also have long plastic flues as well. These come in 20 foot lengths. Two can be fed up, or down, a flue. If the pipes are too short they can be joined using solvent weld cement giving a solid joint. At the top have the flue gasses pipe higher than the air intake pipe. The air intake pipe can have an elbow on it pointing away from the flue gas pipe. That is a cheap way of doing it. Concentric flue extensions are expensive. Are the flexible liners by Viessmann expensive?

A condensing plume out of a chimney looks quite neat.

that sounds like the Swiss method, but Namsag says not allowed here :confused:

I wouldn't know :(

I wasn't including Keston because they are the Ratners of the boiler world.

Only they are more expensive than a prawn sandwich.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't including Keston because they are the Ratners of the boiler world.

Only they are more expensive than a prawn sandwich.

I agree in general these days. I would only go for one because of the extended flue system being cheap to run long lengths. They made some simple reliable boilers about 12 years ago. The model that never had a pcb was good and reliable, but cycled like hell when on a rad system when the house was up to temperature. They were OK when they were slightly undersized then they worked harder. I fitted a number of them onto thermal stores and they worked superbly as the store stats totally controlled the boiler so no cycling. They were a perfect match and very simple efficient boilers.

What went wrong with them?

I haven't seen one without a PCB. That means either very few were made or they went the same way as their newer brothers and sisters. Scrap.

The only clever thing about a Keston is their advertising. The rest is pants. How they ever won an H&V Award is beyond me.

A typical Keston customer always seems to be an IT industry beardy called Roger. No idea why, they just love 'em.

Until they buy one......

I haven't seen one without a PCB. That means either very few were made or they went the same way as their newer brothers and sisters. Scrap.

The only clever thing about a Keston is their advertising. The rest is pants. How they ever won an H&V Award is beyond me.

A typical Keston customer always seems to be an IT industry beardy called Roger. No idea why, they just love 'em.

Until they buy one......

I forget the name of the simple boiler without a pcb. I'm sure most are still around. maybe they were not selling enough spare parts for it, reducing profits.

The IT guys probably look at the control systems and that impresses them. There are many complex boilers around these days with good control systems. Architects love them for some reason and will specify a Keston.

The Celsius was a dog. I avoided them and would discourage people from buying one.

Theres no exception just because its a listed building, the planners/enforcers just expect you to find a way round the problem and the house owner has to foot the bill, its called the joys of owning a listed property. Dont do anything without permission in writing from the council planners, the householder can not write a disclaimer.

Until they buy one......

That pretty much describes most of the trisave turbo customers I've come across. Those things are death traps.
Very annoying that house builders actually got grants and tax breaks for installing such contraptions.

Very annoying that house builders actually got grants and tax breaks for installing such contraptions.
Would that be because the people that dole out those millions don't have the foggiest idea what they are on about?
Or would it be because this government allows people who become the gasindustry's "watchdog" have a chairperson and coincidentally there is a gasindusty-"consultant" with the same unusual surname?
Or a bit of both maybe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back