new home electrics

I dunno about you but my most likely response to a difficult to access fan isolator would be to turn it off and leave it off.

I'd say that's exactly what a lot of people are likely to do with a fan which is coming on unnecessarily every time they switch the light on for a minute or two, especially if it's been set for a long overrun.

It's far better to just have the fan controlled independently by a switch which is as accessible as the light switch, then people can use it when they want it. I really don't understand why timer fans operated from the light switch have become so common in this country.

Sponsored Links
I really don't understand why timer fans operated from the light switch have become so common in this country.

It's from page 18 of approved document F.
That refers to timed fans in rooms with no openable window, and the option of switching the fan with the light in a room with no natural light.

While that clearly doesn't apply to all bathrooms, it's likely that some building inspectors have adapted this, or misread it. Although wrong, it then becomes the 'standard' for designers to include on plans. Most of the approved plans I have seen do state that a fan with timed overrun is required in the bathroom.

While you could argue this point (and probably plenty of others) with the building inspector it really isn't worth it.

While you could argue this point (and probably plenty of others) with the building inspector it really isn't worth it.

The problem is, if everybody says "It's not worth arguing the point," the little dictators in building control get away with imposing conditions they have no authority to impose, and it only encourages them to try this trick even more.

The Approved Document for Part F is not law any more than the Approved Document for Part P is, but even so the comments you're referring to on page 18 clearly do not apply to all bathrooms.

First, for a bathroom with no openable window it stipulates a 15-minute overrun, but it's pretty meaningless since it doesn't give a reference point. 15 minutes from when? When the room is vacated? It doesn't say. And the first part of that section clearly states that intermittent mechanical extract may be operated manually, so I'd argue that the 15-minute overrun can, by those "rules," be obtained by simply switching the fan off 15 minutes after vacating the room - assuming that to be the intended reference point. But as this section says nothing about switching the fan in parallel with the light, how does the 15-minute overrun apply if you don't turn the fan on in the first place? Or indeed, if you do decide to switch it with the light, the light is not going to be turned on every time you go in there anyway if there is natural light.

Second, even if there is no natural light in the bathroom at all, it merely states that the fan could be controlled by operation of the room's main light switch, not that it should be. If there is no natural light in the bathroom, then there can be no openable window either, so again, how is the 15-minute period supposed to apply?

But if the bathroom has an opening window, as many do, then clearly neither of these "requirements" come into play according to the Approved Document anyway.

That whole section is just a confusing mess which makes no sense.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back