New hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old square copper tank in a thin cupboard with the cistern in the loft. (It leaks) I want to get a combination cylinder and fit two immersion heaters. One on economy 7 and the other on the normal consumer unit. The idea being to give a boost for an hour in the evening. The electrics are there for both already. Is this a good solution? Don't have CH or gas supply.

My question is: I plan on building a small floor area in my loft to accomodate it. I do have supporting walls nearby so can rest the floor on these and the tank on top. I'm just slightly worried about the tank and the fact it is freestanding. Is there a product that you know about the can acts as a bracket, keeping the tank against the wall?

I'd also appreciate any views on my idea to provide hot water throughout the day and whether people use the system i describe.

the cost of gas and a gas water heater, having it fitted etc would cost about 1500 which we just can't afford.

Sponsored Links
My question is: I plan on building a small floor area in my loft to accomodate it. I do have supporting walls nearby so can rest the floor on these and the tank on top. I'm just slightly worried about the tank and the fact it is freestanding.

bear in mind the thing is exeedingly heavy when full it won't fall over but it might come through the ceiling ;)

I hope not! If i could put it somewhere else I would but there is now where it can go. The orignal tank is a rectangle shape with no insulation from the 60's. Looks like the airing was built around it! Perfect fit for this tank. Obviously they never imagined the thing would fail and leak and require an updated shape tank :cry:

Sponsored Links
Oh right, so actually build a larger floor area than required. I'm going for 80 litres so that's 80kg's plus weight of cylinder empty. Quite a lot...

Would a thermal store be an option? Anybody?

I have an all electric house so could one of these be used on economy 7 with a boost from standard electric?. Am i right in thinking that I could site this downstairs and diy install? They come with a heat exchanger and i guess this is for a boiler connection, could i simply cap these connections off and use immersion only?

If i could have this downstairs that would save me loading the loft with such a lot of weight. would there be enough pressure? My normal mains pressure is above average.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back