New House - Old Ideal Mexico boiler - advice please

Thank you again,
1) Is there any point in having the hot water and central heating timers on at the same time if i need them both at the same times? Does it make a difference to the way the boiler works?
2) I will do my homework and also check the cylinder stat is operational.
3) I will check the expansion cistern for frost protection
4) I have the control pannel as in the photographs - is there a better one to upgrade to or do i just need a new one? Im replacing the roomstat anyway.
5) How much should a yearly service of the full system cost?
Thank you again in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. Having HW and CH on at the same time wont affect the boiler, just the flow of heated water from the boiler will then be split between the cylinder to heat the hot water and the rads to heat the house. Both as a result may take longer to reach desired temperatures.
2. This will ensure correct operation, the water will be heated to desired temperature and not waste energy.
3. Needs a lid and insulation jacket, looks like a 10 gallon cistern, (or a 10/4 in the trade. 10 gallons actual, 4 gallons nominal, should only be about a 1/3rd full usually.)
4. I'm not 100% sure that programmer is working correctly, if your getting the boiler coming on when it should be off, then possible the programmer is faulty, but without testing it cannot be a definite. They're basically a posh timeswitch, you will need one that can do 2 channels, probably better to upgrade the room stat to a programmable type, leave the CH switched on at the programmer and let the roomstat control the heating. You can then set different temperatures for different times, e.g. if you get home at 6, it can be set to bring the room up to a warmer temperature a bit earlier so house is warm for your return.
5. Advise boiler and cylinder are serviced and checked, if you're unsure then it may be prudent to get the whole system checked over prior to the winter, so difficult to give an estimate without seeing what's there. Breakdowns in cold weather are not nice and can be expensive!

Thank you again,

If i am setting the cylinder at 65C, does that mean my boiler setting always has to be at setting 3 or higher as anything less would be lower than 65C?

I will see what the engineer visiting says about the programmer and also cost to replace this and the room stat an also if he/she can work out exactly how the system works...if theres anything else i should ask him then please let me know....

Thank you again.

Depends what the stat settings on the boiler correspond to. I'd set the boiler a bit higher if need be, the water temp/room temp shouldn't get any hotter than setting on appropriate stat. I would also be looking to see the system has been dosed with inhibitor in the past to prevent it sludging up and premature failure of components.

Sponsored Links
It is advised to have hot water heated to 55-60 C.

Not 65 C !

The boiler temperature should be at least 10 C higher than the setting for the hot water temperature.

Tony

The HSE recommend "Hot water should be stored at 60 °C at least in order to kill legionella bacteria.", so I always set to 60-65 to be safe.

It is advised to have hot water heated to 55-60 C.

Not 65 C !

The boiler temperature should be at least 10 C higher than the setting for the hot water temperature.

Tony
what the feck you on about? was always taught 65c was the temp on a cylinder stat, so by average it would reach a tap at say 60c through heat loss etc. please explain why not 65c.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back