Old Ideal Mexico Floor Standing Boiler - any info

Pray do tell why they do not get sold on ebay for vast money - No engineer wants to work on them - The ****ty engineers want to replace it with a combi. The better ones want to pull up all teh floorboards and repipe the whole. The best engineer talk about valiant heat only boiler and adding a motorised valve
Simply because all Boiler replacements need to be of the Condensing (High Efficiency) type, very few Mexico's are probably removed still in working order, as most Folks who are correctly advised will hang onto them until they are completely dead, and no sensible Gas Engineer will fit a secondhand boiler anyway.

Best advice with the Mexico is to find someone who knows these Boilers, (they are very simple in real terms), get it Serviced annually, and make sure the system is correctly dosed with Inhibitor to prevent internal corrosion.

Sponsored Links
my dad had one in his old house, a large heavy one i remember it being fitted in 1995, it was gas fired floor standing one and really inefficient now, however it sprung a water leak in nov 2019 and had to be replaced with new modern gas boiler.

Thanks all - Quite apart from the ability to sell the house at some point - Everyone is going to be put off with a boiler that age

Thanks all - Quite apart from the ability to sell the house at some point - Everyone is going to be put off with a boiler that age
Well wait till that time comes and when putting the house on the market a brand new boiler with a long warranty is a better sell ing poit than a 5 year old modern boiler that will need replaced soon

Sponsored Links
Not me. My oil boiler must be 30 years old. It just keeps on going.

The Company that service it agree that it is best to keep it as there is so little to go wrong with it.

Our neighbour’s (an old boy) lasted 38 years, he had nothing but trouble with the replacement condensing boilers.

Blup

Great so spend the money for the new owner to enjoy - Honestly how long do you expect a boiler to last ?! When will you reccomend changing a 30 year boiler ?-

Great so spend the money for the new owner to enjoy - Honestly how long do you expect a boiler to last ?! When will you reccomend changing a 30 year boiler ?-
When it fails and would be uneconomic to repair is my take on it

They are so very simple, just a gas valve, pilot light, thermocouple and a stat. Just factor in, that they can use an extra 10% in gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back