New immersion element not working

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

My immersion was tripping. I isolated it.

I have a sink/bath switch, with a digital 7 day timer off it.
I opened the sink/bath switch and all looked clean and tight.
I took the top off the immersion heater, and it was full of water.

I turned off the cold feed and I drained a few litres from the hot taps, it started to stop flowing from the taps relatively quickly.
I managed to carefully remove the element.
The tank was still nearly full of water! I think my cold feed gate was not closing fully. It was messy but I managed to work around this.
I went and bought a new element of the same size.
I cleaned up the area (there was paste and a dry broken gasket). I used a file on the surface.
I fitted it but there was the tiniest of weeps.
I refitted it with a new gasket and (sadly) smeared a small bit of Tec7 around both sides of the gasket. The weep is gone.
I opened the cold feed again.

I rewired it up, comparing to the photos I took of the switch insides.
I turned the power back on and turned on the timer.
The red light came on and I heard the immersion 'hissing'.
About 30 seconds later it just turned off, but no power trip.
I found that my timer had a stray 'off' setting at exactly the time that I had turned it on, by fluke!
I turned it on again and the red light was on, but I noticed it was not hissing. I put this down to the new one being new!

The next day my kids are complaining it's not working, and indeed it's not.
I have checked the visible reset button and it seems to be depressed.
There is water coming out of the hot taps. But it's only residual heat from having the central heating on (I was fooled but this when testing)

Looking for advice. As you can see I'm somewhat competent but I'm not super knowledgeable, especially with electrics, I can do it all but would need guidance.

At this stage I'm thinking:

- When I wired it back to the switch something has come loose. I can check this obviously
- There is an airlock or something. But I don't really feel any heat from the tank (the insulation is scraped away from some of the top, so I genuinely think it's not heating it
- There is something wrong with the wiring in the element
- The element needs to be reset somehow even though I think it has
- The element is just faulty

Any guidance on what to test and how is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of the wiring at the immersion heater / element/ stat.
Do you have any voltage testing devices or a multimeter ,and are you competent to use them ?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm WFH at the moment so will check all this this evening when it's OK to turn the power off fully (I want to turn off the mains just in case as the house came with what sometimes seems to be cowboy wiring and incorrect labels in the fuse box etc)

I have a multimeter and I've used it in simple cases on car batteries and simple car electrics.

Are you competent to work on live mains ,voltage testing ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A healthy immersion element (appropriately isolated/disconected for test) will show about 20 ohms resistance.
Thermostat (cold), overheat not tripped - 0 ohms

After that reconnect and test live for 240V L to N, if confident to do so safely.

I have a multimeter to hand now but TBH not sure how to use it properly.

Attachments

• 20230411_180808.jpg
    20230411_180808.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230411_181359.jpg
    20230411_181359.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230411_181251.jpg
    20230411_181251.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 57
Better shot

Attachments

• 20230411_182951.jpg
    20230411_182951.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 38
Original wiring

Attachments

• 20230407_101732.jpg
    20230407_101732.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 31
If i touch the earth in the switch with the black probe and then the red against black or brown going to the immersion I get 221 reading. If I repeat in the immersion I get the same... when the power is on obviously .

At the immersion heater, measure the voltages below..
Black wire to blue wire in the right hand terminal of the thermostat.
Black wire to blue wire in the left hand terminal of the thermostat.
Black wire to earth terminal.
Tell us the voltages.

0 all the time.

if I put the red wire on earth in the immersion the the left blue terminal reads 221

If you measure earth to right hand terminal of stat ,what voltage ?

You replied earlier that black wire to earth was 0 voltage. Are you sure about that ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back