New immersion element not working

I've just put the new stat back in and got the same measurements.

I'm confused TBH

Sponsored Links
Is it just down to the resistance readings so? The old stat is out and reading 0.1

Is the element heating up ?
If boiler is not operating ,put your ear to the side wall of cylinder ,you should be able to hear a faint humming sound, switch off the immersion heater and sound will stop.
If it's not heating, the elements May be suspect. You could test / measure the resistance through the elements ,POWER OFF first !!!

I can't hear it working. I just turned the new stat down and it clicked at around 50 but still no noise.

Sponsored Links
I just put stat to 60 and I can hear faint noises. This is the new stat.

Ok I've powered on off a few times and can definitely hear a very faint hum and water type noises when it's on.

I'm very confused. It seems to be working but amn't I back to the setup where it wasn't working?

Is it presently on sink or bath setting ?
You do know it's cheaper to heat the cylinder water by the boiler ,rather than the immersion heater ?

It's on sink. I've stopped using g the boiler now as the energy costs are so high and its hard to isolate the central heating from it. I only have this coming on for a short bit in the morning and then adhoc if the kids want a shower which is very random times!

The new stat is now clicking off at 55 so it seems to be working.

I'm going to tidy up the wiring and see how it performs tomorrow morning after the timer comes on.

Ok ,if its working all good ,but Electricity is around 4 times the price of gas !
Do you not have the controls for boiler to run on heating cylinder only ( no central heating ) ?

I do but my zones are all old school with knobs on pipes.....

Appears to all be in order then. See how it goes and let us know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back