New install lighting circuit tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing some lighting in a new extension. The RCD is tripping, and it's doing my head in. I can't work out if the problem is upstream or downstream of my junction box.

Basically I have 1 in and 7 out via wago connectors. L, N and E. The live feeds go to various switches,

If I remove both neutral and live IN, it doesn't trip. 240v detected across L and N
If I just remove live IN, it trips.
If I connect the L to any of the 7 outs individually, with N connected, it trips.

So the question is: where's the leak? If nothing has a live feed, how can there be a leak?

Note there is no load on any of the circuits yet. I had turned it on to test some lighting sockets, but never got that far. I have also installed normal sockets which are working and tested, as well as feeds for an aircon and a blind, none of which were turned on at the CU while this was going on

Thanks in advance

P

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well I've installed the consumer unit and the feed to the junction box too.

I'll take out all the neutrals and add them one by one. If they all trip it then I'll assume it's upstream

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back