new internal doors sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I had all my internal doors replaced about 2 months ago and a couple have started to stick when I clots the door as though they have swelled, how do I fix it do I plane off some of the door
hinges or is there another way. I won't ask the original joiner back as his work was sub standard and I had to get another joiner to replace the fire door he fitted as I could have done better
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3155.jpeg.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
Make sure hinge screws are not loose. All depends how much of a gap you have at the hinged side whether you deepen the hinge rebates or plane outer edge of door.

where are the doors sticking? you could definitely try what Buoy says.
and clean off all those paint drips and blobs. I wouldn't plane the door until i've tried everything else. the door in the pic doesn't look like a new door

Sponsored Links
Those are new doors???

it looks to me like the door is new, with that fake woodgrain finish, but the frame is old, looks in poor condition, and badly painted with thick layers of old paint, and runs.

It also looks to me like the hinge is not well cut into the lining (frame) so this might be the place to start.

When you put a new door into a ropy old frame, you give the carpenter the chance to blame the old frame for any poor fitting. A new lining (frame) is pretty cheap and will give a better job, and be easier to paint.

If you are going to try the work yourself, a fire door is extremely heavy.

Cheap hollow doors, the screws into hinges have split the door so screws may never tighten.

Cheap hollow doors, the screws into hinges have split the door so screws may never tighten.
I think Foxy has it. Look carefully and you can see a crack running away upwards and downwards from the hinge. Caused by whoever screwed the hinges onto the doors not drilling pilot holes for the screws, most likely, or possibly having drilled them too small and/or far too shallow. Screw heads are a bit wonky, too, which often doesn't bode well for a job well done. Edge of the door looks a bit rough, as well. Was the door trimmed in width to get it to fit?

If it has split, there is a possible fix, but it isn't a long term fix (maybe a few years). Need to have the split confirmed, which means door and hinges off

Last edited by a moderator:
I have refused to fit these kind of doors for years, especially on pre-existing frames.
They're made of the softest material you can think of and even paying attention to details (pilot holes, screws not too tight, etc.) after a while the go wrong.
Better to spend a tenner extra and get some cheap wooden doors from wickes or selco (pick the straighter ones from the lot of banana shaped).
At least you'll have some meat for the screws to bite on and stay there.

Thanks for your replies, I have sorted out the door sticking I basically cleaned out the hinge which was not cut into the frame properly and tidied it up. The doors was not at fault it was the door fitter who did such a poor job , he did not drill pilot holes , he ripped out the old hinges whilst still painted up and splintered the frames and did such a poor job on the fire door I had to have it replaced by another joiner who did a great job replacing the frame and door.
The original joiner was recommended as well.
Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back