New (ish) roof leaking

Headlap is the amount of overhang that the bottom of one tile covers the top of the tile not immediately beneath it but the one beneath that:

slate-headlap.jpg

As mentioned already, all tiles removed, battens removed, new battens at closer centres, re-hang tiles not forgetting you'll need more tiles to go back on than came off.

Sponsored Links
Headlap is the amount of overhang that the bottom of one tile covers the top of the tile not immediately beneath it but the one beneath that:

slate-headlap.jpg

As mentioned already, all tiles removed, battens removed, new battens at closer centres, re-hang tiles not forgetting you'll need more tiles to go back on than came off.

Thanks for that Freddy.

Now for the next big question, whats the chances of getting those tiles off without breaking them? :confused:

If it is possible is their a trick to doing it?

Thanks again freddy

Well the Mrs had the builder round, thought it best if she did it while i was away otherwise it would have ended up in a shouting match. :evil:

Anyway he was not responsive at all with regards the roof.

He spotted some pointing under the upstairs window which he thinks is the cause of the leak and has fixed that.

Where do i stand with building control? Is it worth me getting them involved?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If its been signed off then previous threads on this site suggest they will never admit any wrong doing even if they should have checked the headlap which is debatable. And they will be hesitant to have a word with your builder if that is what you are angling for as they will (rightly so) claim that getting Building Control Approval is no guarantee of getting a quality.

But you could always try! :)

What happened when your wife shoved the specification under his nose that stated how much headlap should have been incorporated? If not why not?

Yes that's what i thought to be honest re building control. I realized they were a waste of time during the build when the only thing they seemed interested in was ultra deep foundations!!! Apart from that they didn't seem to give a flying F%$#

Anyway he came and to his credit attempted to find the. Utilized the garden hose and gave the roof a really good soaking before moving onto the lead flashing which he also gave a good soaking with the hose.

Still no sign of the leak so he moved to the underside of the upstairs window sill, this is the window from where the photo was taken. Sure enough the leak appeared and the pointing was found to be bad. During the build this part of the house was held up with acroes etc and steel beams inserted so i was not to surprised to hear of any loose pointing. He,s coming back tuesday to point it up.

Back to the roof he basically sees no issue and is now happy that he has proved it is not leaking :confused:

Where to go from here i,m unsure???

Thanks again.

You`ve probably got 10 years before the membrane that`s taking the water away - leaks . Then it`s a re tile /slate with proper headlap - or a legal battle now - you`re between a rock and a hard place :cry:

You`ve probably got 10 years before the membrane that`s taking the water away - leaks

I doubt it will be 10 years

If the water freezes, then it will not only cause condensation in the roof void below, but it will accelerate wear

Also if there are gaps in the tiles like the OP says, and UV gets in, then the membrane will degrade quicker

I reckon he should talk to the guy and stop hiding behind his missus.

You'll get banned if you keep posting your mugshot. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You'll get banned if you keep posting your mugshot. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You're confusing me with someone that gives a ****. The fella has come on here looking for some advice, has put his post together well and asked sensible questions, and 'Hiding behind his missus' is the best you can come up with? You're a 24 karat ****. It would be to your benifit to post in a section you have some knowledge of, painting tin soldiers or something along those lines, you useless waste of air. Now off you ****, the meds trolley is on the way round.

You'll get banned - yet again matey-boy.

He should TALK to the BUILDER - not get his missus to do it in case he starts SHOUTING.

It's time to get grown up eh - and you matey-boy. :mrgreen:

Back to the roof he basically sees no issue and is now happy that he has proved it is not leaking :confused:
So how does he know it's not leaking onto the roofing felts and straight to the gutter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back