New Kids Playhouse requires a base ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just purchased an 8ft by 8ft childrens playhouse and i'm struggling to think of the best way to site it in the garden,
I don't want to lay a 8ft by 8ft concrete base as water damage to the playhouse could be a problem if the run off isnt ample.
I seem to favour the idea of 9 pad stones set in concrete, levelled off and 3 perpendicular bearers sat on them, or scaffold planks with the playhouse sat on top, should this be a preferred method then whats the best way to fix these pads to the ground, do i need to dig a hole, hardcore then concrete up to a level, then concrete a pad stone in :confused: :?: ????
Ideas would be welcome,
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use breeze blocks, instead of pads. Level the ground around where the blocks will go, ensure it's firm. If not, dig a hole and fill with hardcore etc, tramp down. Then find/borrow a long spirit level. concrete each block in turn, so each ends up level, do you get the idea! You can even paint the blocks, if aesthetics is a priority!

;) , Thats what i meant by pads, (breeze blocks), It seems the logical solution at the moment, does it matter how much of a sub base/concrete level i need, The ground its to be sited on has a fall of around 1" in every 7" and im just going to dig an 8 by 8 square over then level it off, This opbviously will unsettle the soil so i guess i'll have to dig down to concrete the breeze blocks in, Any ideas how far i need to go and how much concrete to put down ??

compact the soil and level it. You shouldnt really need to concrete the blocks in at all once youve done that.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that if you want to playhouse to remain level for some time to come, then some concrete or well compacted sub base under the concrete blocks would be advisable.

About 4 inches would be fine, just under the block itself. I would aslo recommend laying some landscape fabric under the sub base or concrete for extra stability.

It is all in the preparation ;)

skybluescooby said:
;) , Thats what i meant by pads, (breeze blocks), It seems the logical solution at the moment, does it matter how much of a sub base/concrete level i need, The ground its to be sited on has a fall of around 1" in every 7" and im just going to dig an 8 by 8 square over then level it off, This opbviously will unsettle the soil so i guess i'll have to dig down to concrete the breeze blocks in, Any ideas how far i need to go and how much concrete to put down ??

As andrew say's, it's best to use concrete. You can use more than one block per corner, if on a slope. The idea is to create mini piles in the ground, so the structure above won't shift in rain or heavy use.

Well,
Thank you all for your advice and following a weekend of hard graft, soil removal, concrete , breeze blocks and levelling off i was told by the installers that the base was not suitable because they had changed the angle of the sub floor struts and the positioning of my blocks was not perpendicular to the base.
What a waste of time that turned out to be,
For those that are still reading i had to rip up 10 paving slabs from the side of the house, nip out to buy some sand and cement then struggle to level and lay 10 slabs in the rain whilst the installers built the house on the patio area, one day later and 6 of the footy team, the house was finally rested in position.
Moral of the story is, don't try to save money, Better the foundation, better the result

When my kids had a playhouse it was just laid on part of the garden that was flat with western red cedar bearers against the ground.
It lasted until they grew out of it, years later, when it was then used as a large kennel for 2 alsatians.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back