New kitchen downlights - recommendations please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Currently in the process of refitting our kitchen, which includes building an extension. We've currently got halogen downlights, which we like, but need to replace as they're relatively cheap fittings and we won't have enough in any case with the new extension.

Quite like the idea of LED downlights, as whilst the initial cost of purchase is higher the running costs are much lower, with manufacturers claiming payback in 1-2 years.

Sooo...questions:

1) Is LED the way forward, or should I be sticking with old-fashioned halogen?

2) Any brands to go for or avoid? Have been looking so far at Halers EVOLed and QLite, but only because that's what I've found on one website.

3) If I have LED, how warm do they get, IE is it advisable to have fire-rated ones or are normal ones OK? Kitchen end of the house is single-storey with a pitched roof above, and plenty of loft insulation in there, standard flat ceiling

Any other advise you can give would be much appreciated

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ha thanks, I hope so, while I'm sitting here I've thought of another one - we're not having any wall units, so would you have a mix of narrow-angle lined up over the worktops and wide angle over the floor, or wide-angle everywhere?

Sponsored Links
If you still decide you want to use downlights after reading the above post, LED lamps are a good choice if you don't mind the cost. However, the manufacturer's claims regarding payback time are a load of tosh unless you run them 24/7, along with the assumption that they're as reliable as the manufacturer states. After all, I've had CFLs that have lasted less time than an old GLS lamp.

You shouldn't need fire rated fittings - this has nothing to do with the heat output of the lamp anyway. You will still need to leave space around the lamps to prevent the buildup of heat, or failing that, fit a loft cap to provide the necessary vapour seal and stop insulation covering the rear of the fitting. Heat output will be around 1/10th that of a 50w halogen.

One final thing, is there a gadgety program on the net anywhere that helps to calculate how many of these lights you need in a room?

I'm not aware of anything that's free and easy to use, although I've never really looked either. I'd buy a few lamps (aim for wide angle rather than typical spot lamps) and see what you think. After all, you don't want to commit to spending hundreds on lamps that you don't like. Even if the coverage is good, you might not be happy with the colour temperature.

You have probably worked out by now there are a few people who don't like downlights. However we can't ignore that they are popular and customers want them.

I would look at Halers evoLED, www.halers.com. They are good and come with a 7 year extended warranty.

There is a Lighting and Energy Estimator on this website for the halers lights.
http://www.howmanylights.co.uk/FlashTools/FlashIndoor.aspx?InstanceKey=195|DL-XX-F-WW.ies

However in my experience for a kitchen, every 0.8m to 1m you need to allow for a downlight.

The halers website also has a cost calculator that allows you to adjust various parameters. http://www.collingwoodvideo.com/Hal...c/HL_Halers H2 Cost-Co2 saving Calculator.htm

EDIT: I have no interest to declare in Halers, just a happy customer.
EDIT2: If you install more than 15 on a circuit and if you hace a B-type circuit breaker you will need to change the breaker for a c-type and get a electrian to check the circuit is still safe, plus all the "part P" stuff.

Not seen one IRL, but from the specs the Thorn BaseLED is worth a look, if you're really set on using LEDs.

But I really would advise looking at recessed PL lights as an initial approach.

Thanks for the useful replies so far guys, lots to think of, and those Halers ones look good Mike, it's good to know you've used them and are happy with them. Philips bulbs too, so hopefully they'll still be available if they ever need replacing. B-A-S, will look at recessed PL, are they available in Warm White or are they all a cooler white such as you'd get from a standard fluoro tube?

Yes - you can get 2700° and 3000° PL lamps.

Also you can get lights with dimmable ballasts, or you can replace the ballasts with dimmable ones yourself, if that's of interest to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back