New kitchen wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are fitting a new kitchen in my house, and know you have to be part p do the electrics. we got a eleccy in to quote for the work, and to save on money he said it would be ok if we chased into the walls and lay the wire for him, then he will come in and do the 2nd fix and give us the certifcate.
last time we spoke to him, he said, on the certifcate he would say that he didn't do the work, and just tested it.
Is this right? and is it the same when coming to sell the house?
ps. we layed the wires where he said to.

Sponsored Links
Not right. He cannot do that. He may get away with doing a PIR but not signing off someone elses work. If the wires are visible then he can sign it off as he can inspect the installation.

is a PIR just testing it and giving me a certifcate? is this the same when coming to sell the house? the wire wont be visible when he comes round, but there are now, should i get him the check them now?

Sponsored Links
You need an Electrical Installation Certificate and the electrician needs to notify to the local council building department via his competent person scheme provider.

If he isn't prepared to do this you need a new electrician. He should know this so it shouldn't come as a shock.

You do need to clarify what he is doing and willing to sign off. When I have customers chase in and run in cables I carry out a visual before they are covered. This ensures they are routed correctly, have no junction boxes and has been done to my satisfaction. Then I let the next stage continue. I then connect all fittings and test, on the Electrical Installation Certificate I then get the customer to sign alongside mine the box for Construction. That way the customer does take some responsibility for his work although the overall responsibility is mine.
Simples

right, just spoke to him, he says he uses '3rd person Installation Certificate' and he just signs hes tested it. he says his scheme provider is the only one that uses this certificate. and he notifys building control.
does this sound right?

I know NAPIT do not use this form. Check he is registered on this web site. Ask him who his scheme provider is. To be honest if he wants the job he should be a bit more helpful now, what's it going to be like half way through the job. I would be tempted to get someone else on board.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
The 3rd person form in my opinion is just the EIC with a space for 3 signatories, design, construction and testing. Is he going to sign the design as well.
You need to find someone who is willing to check your work and also to sign it off as their own. Hope this helps

thanks jack
Just check that link, he is NICEIC.
Is it worth doing all the work ourselfs then get it sign off from LABC, or is this to late seeing that weve started the work.
Is there anyone else who is in NICEIC and knows about this form?

I suspect your contractor is an 'approved contractor' and therefore can have EIC certs that have four boxes for signing off, design, construction, testing, or all three. He will just fill out the testing box. IMO this is bad practice, he should want to see the installation through the stages to ensure you have done everything correctly. You may know what to do with most things and know when to ask for advice or help with other things, but what about things you dont know atall and dont even know they need asking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back