new laws bout Bolsters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
they have been a new law brought out bout bolsters,
that it is ilegal to use them if they don't the protective sleeves on them,

is that the same on site cos all bolsters in this collage have to be replaced by september,
is there a cheap way to make the old bolsters legal in stead of thowing them and buying new ones,
they dont really have a mushroom head or owt on them,

Sponsored Links
There is no law related to bolster chisels.

What has probably happened is that some numpty H&S person has done a risk assessment and decided that bolsters without a sleeve are dangerous, and someone may sue the college if they bash their thumb and get a blister

It will be your colleges decision on what tools they will let you use, but using a chisel without a sleeve will not be "illegal"

It's probably a good idea in a college if it prevents broken bones from a lump hammer.

Sponsored Links
FFS The little darlings have it easy enough as it is . What are you training up - proper trades people ..Or Joke " Construction Guys" like in the Village People :?: :rolleyes:

Bashing your fingers a few times is a shure fire way of quickly learning how to use a hammer properly; I’ve got chipped bones on 3 of the knuckles on my left hand as a legacy of my apprenticeship many years ago. :LOL:

i was just wundering,

well they are all 1st year students that are straight out of school
alright cool,

aslong as its not illegal that fine

Can't see you being thown in prison if you use an unprotected bolster. It depends on whether that's what the site manager has provided for you - in which case that's his/her problem, as indeed it is if he/she failed to do a risk assessment when you started knocking that old render off!

Have never seen replacement sleeves for bolster chisels, and even if you could get one, the chances of fitting one on (mushroom or not) is pretty slim.

alright cool, just as long as i mean, yes i have sene them but like you said i don't want to get them if they are not going to fit, our collage is on a budget and plastering only get a bit of money to last for one whole year, and we have ruffly 100 students in

Is the college selling them cheap to you? Anyway, don't you worry about the college's finance, it really isn't your concern.

no there are not, i work as a tecnition at the collage, so i dont want to be spending loads of the bolsters than some time down year we are needin summat else and we not having no money to get it

no there are not, i work as a tecnition at the collage, so i dont want to be spending loads of the bolsters than some time down year we are needin summat else and we not having no money to get it
I'm not normally bothered by inaccurate spellings (noone's perfect after all), but one that does bug me is "collage". This is a piece of artwork made up from smaller pieces. "College" is where you are working as a "technician".

Bolsters with guards are only a few pennies more than those without, plus they will save a load of time lost due to injury, regardless of HSE law, so they're a wise investment.

Personally, I find those guards a bit of a nuisance and don't see the point of them. It's not difficult to hit a bolster with a club hammer without missing.

Personally, I find those guards a bit of a nuisance and don't see the point of them. It's not difficult to hit a bolster with a club hammer without missing.
i feel the same but it is 16-19 years olds using them,
just wondered if it was the same on site, cos i had to sit in a big meeting about it

i feel the same but it is 16-19 years olds using them,
just wondered if it was the same on site, cos i had to sit in a big meeting about it

What is taught is college is supposed to be good practice and HSE compliant. Therefore you have to assume that protected bolsters on site is what is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back