New light fitting - double insulated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evenin' all,

I've bought a new light for my kitchen. It's a low voltage spotlight track thing from Ikea and is double insulated so there's no earth connection in the base, only single live and neutral connections.

So how do I go about wiring this? The kitchen light is the last on the circuit so there's no loop out to worry about, only the earth connection.

Is it simply a case of connecting the earths in a choc block? Should I tape the choc block up then or is it OK as it is?

For future reference, if I'm doing similar to a light that's not the last on the circuit how do I go about this? I'm trying to figure it out in my head without actually looking at the cables and I just can't picture it. In fact, I can't picture what to do with it on the kitchen light either. I'll have to have a look in the morning.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
Right, I think I've got it in my mind.

Switched live to the L connection on its own.

ALL neutral conductors to the N connection.

Earth conductors to a choc block.

IF IT'S NOT THE LAST LIGHT ON THE CIRCUIT

All other live conductors (except the switched live) into a choc block.

Hang on, WTF, even if it ain't the last on the circuit I'll still have two live conductors. I guess these should go together in a choc block eh?

If that's correct, the only real answer I need is whether or not the choc block should be taped up. I'm guessing not but confirmation would be appreciated.

Regards

Fred

Don't tape up choc block, it creates a horrible gooey mess. Ensure the choc block is inside an enclosure.

Yes, the two permanent lives will need to go together in a choc block.Then the two earths will need to go together in a choc block also.
No need to tape them up, but make sure there is no bare conductors showing at either end of the blocks.
Don't forget to sleeve the CPCs.

EDIT. Yes, sorry the choc blocks will need to be in an enclosure if there is no room for them inside the fitting.

Sponsored Links
Cheers folks,

The fitting should be able to contain the choc blocks no problem. If not, I think I've seen a choc box in the SF catalogue, would that be an adequate enclosure? Can that just be pushed up into the void above the ceiling will be OK won't it?

I think I've got some 15a terminal connectors in my box of bits. Probably a bit over the top for a lght fitting but saves buying a 5a one.

Thanks again

Regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back