New Light Fitting - high energy bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are decorating our living room and this includes a new ceiling light fitting.

I have already replaced the dimmer switches with standard on/off types as I have decided to use low energy bulbs in the ceiling fitting.

Took my design consultant (wife) to Focus and we bought a ceiling fitting.

When I got it home I found that it used 40W G9 Halogen bulbs; that's 200W, not very energy efficient. I know I should have looked on the box first, but it is still going back and we will have to look elsewhere

If the Government is wanting everyone to be energy efficient and are phasing out incandescent bulbs, why are they still permitting the sale of light fittings which can only be used with Band F bulbs?

Sponsored Links
It is an absolute pain trying to find a light fitting for the living room that (a) looks good and (b) can take low watt bulbs.

The house I moved into at the beginning of 2007 was owned by someone who worked at IKEA and got a staff discount. They went mad on halgoen light fittings - with the exception of the landing and hallway every room in the house had halogen lights. 200 watts in the living room, 200 watts in each of the 3 bedrooms, 150 watts in the kitchen, 150 watts in the dining room and 100 watts in the bathroom. 1.2kW if all were on at the same time. Only the bathroom, 1 bedroom and the living room have them now and after this weekend only the bathroom will have them. Replaced all with CFLs which are far cheaper and are fine once at full brightness. Want to replace the bathroom ones with GU10 CFLs or LEDs but they are far too expensive to buy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back