New Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started to do a little decorating and the light switch is looking a little tired so though I'd renew it however, I am a bit puzzled (doesn't take much btw). The switch is only for a 3 way light.

The light switch in question is quite old and on removing the screws I can see two red wires the earth is in the metal back box. There are just two screw holes (top and bottom) with one of the said red wires in each hole. The only markings I can see is that the screw hole at the top has top printed on it.

The new switch I have has 3 screw holes, one at the top - think it says Lcom above it? The other screw holes are at the bottom and labelled L1 and L2.

So the question is which holes do I use or can I get another switch that is just like the old one? Perhaps just leave well alone?

Sponsored Links
Just use Lcom and L1 with switch the right way up.

If the switch is metal connect the earth to the switch instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back