Wiring Old Light Switches to New Ones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a new double light switch (2 buttons - 1 for each light in my bedroom) to replace the old one.

The new switch has two white plastic blocks on the back with 3 holes in each block. The top hole of each says 'COM' and the bottom left hole says "1WAY" and the right hole says "2WAY". This is repeated again for the other white plastic block for the other button. In total then, 4 holes along the bottom and 2 across the top.

However, my old light switch is different. It has 3 holes across the top, and 3 across bottom. All the wires are red except for one black one. Instead of them being labelled as above they're marked as 'L1', 'L2' etc so I haven't a clue what wires go where. In addition, of the 6 holes only 5 have wires in them. To make things more confusing, one of the red wires is crossed over from one side to ther other (I think this is known as a 'strap'?).

Can anyone give me hyperlink to a guide that will help me understand how to transpose the old wiring onto the new switch? Or another forum topic that discusses this in a way that a muppet could understand! :)

Thanks a lot

Gizmo

Sponsored Links
it a crabtree switch? they often use L1, L2 and L3.

normally, L1 is common, L2 is the new L1 (or 1 way), L3 in the new L2 (or 2 way)

either check diagrms with the switch to confirm this, or check it with a multimeter

note: if the switch operates upside down then you have L1 and L2 mixed up - just move the cable from 1 to the other

Hello,

C = Com.. (incoming feed)

L1 = 1way (1 switch to one light)

L2 = 2 way (2switches in different places controlling the same light)

The red cable you say which is linked is your incoming feed to the switch.
This is to be connected (linked) from C (COM to COM)

Was the black connected to anything or was it in a terminal block? if so that will be the neutral on the cable which is supplying the feed.

Then move the cable from L1 to 1WAY and same for 2 WAY if you have two way switching.

carloss

Sponsored Links
Hey dudes

It's worked! I fed the two red wires (from Com at the top and Common on the bottom of the old switch) including the additional strap wire to the COM hole at the top of each button block. Then I fed the L1 wires to '1WAY' on the new switch and L2 wires to '2WAY' on the new switch, and the single black wire (that was in L2 on the old switch) to the remaining '2WAY' hole, put the fuse back in the mains, and bingo! No blown fuses, and all the lights in the house working!

Thanks a lot guys!

Ted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back