New Light Trips The Electrics Off

Of course, none of this takes in to account the two yellow wires.
It also does not take into account the fact that the light does not come on when the switch is off, which it would do if the reds are line and one of the blues is neutral. Unless the light is broken, of course.

I feel that the choice between Plan A and Plan B will have to be made.

Sponsored Links
There is only three terminals though, where is the 4th terminal for the red wires?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose

I really do appreciate everyones help with this, I am a beginner for sure!
Yes, but surely even a beginner must be able to spot the difference between 4 terminals and 3, and not believe that they had faithfully transposed the connections when they took wires which had been in different terminals and put them in the same one?

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing. Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea. There is no Plan C for anybody sensible.

Hi
I know we are here to help each other, but my thoughts are you should not attempt anything electrical that can kill when you do not understand how it works. Its not just your life at risk but also anyone who follows on after you.
Even qualified electricians make mistakes that's why they have the nickname sparkies.

If your house burns down and it is proved faulty wiring is the cause I do not think your insurance company would pay out do you. If you pay a qualified electrician to do the work with the proper insurance then you can sue him.

There are to many bodged up jobs today by people with little knowledge.

Dart

If you turn the light switch off, then reset the breaker, does the light come on?

Sponsored Links
Before doing anything, check there are no stray wires from the manufacturer's side of the fitting. It's been known.

Then send pictures of where the other ends of these two cables go. One is the switch, one the mains end - you say.

Only attempt to do this if you are competent to safely isolate all the power to do this. Otherwise get an electrician in.

Out of interest, is there just one switch to control this light, or are there two?

Hi
Just out of interest I have had a faulty low energy bulb trip the R.C.D a replacement solved it.

Dart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back