New light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just after a bit of help please. Brought a new light and it has the connector block for live,neutral and switch I believe but it has the earth connected to a bolt ontop of light and no terminal for the earth's to go in. My question is what is the best way to connect the earth wires to the earth wire on light will I need another terminal block for it or do i just twist them together but then they will be just hanging in the light fitting which I'm not keen on. Can anyone advise what to do please
Thankyou

Sponsored Links
If you have permanent live wires from the existing ceiling rose loop then they will need to go in another separate connector.

There might be more than one neutral (blues or blacks).
and the switched live might also be blue or black but should be sleeved brown or red.

upload_2021-3-15_16-48-5.png

Sponsored Links
Yes.

The three reds must be connected together but not to anything else.
The single black is the switched live - power to the light when switched on.
The two blacks are neutrals.
All earth wires connect together and to the wire in the new light.

Is the new light fittings terminal block actually affixed to the base plate ,or just loose ?

For some reason ,I can't view your pic of existing rose. Although EFL seems to be able to ,as colours of wires are identified in his post.

Ok thankyou with regards to the terminal block any specific I need to use?

An insulated terminal strip ( like the one that came with your new light ,which has three,but you only need a single ). Other options, like wago connectors for example ,are also suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back