New loft float valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced my float valve in the loft tank. It was an old part one which was leaking and coming out the overflow, so I replaced it with a new part 2 valve. Ive noticed its a bit noisier than the old one, particularly just as its starting to close off, its a bit high pitched. Is this normal and just a new noise Ill get used too as its a different type?

Sponsored Links
Is there a stopcock on the inlet to the cistern? If so turn it down so the flow rate is lower, it might help.

Just been up to adjust tap. No joy, still makes a noise. Im wondering if its because before being a part 1 the water just flowed straight out, but now being a part 2, the nozzle is on top and its not just a hole but almost like a sieve so it could be restricting it making it noisy

Sponsored Links
Outlet wont restrict the flow, inside there is a small cone shaped part, which is the flow restrictor. White with small hole for mains pressure, red, with bigger hole for cistern fed installations, e.g. a WC. If anything, this is where the issue may lie.

Okay so do I access that by unscrewing the front end of the valve? Its definitely causing some restriction as you can hear it right through the cold pipe in the airing cupboard, going up to the loft, & also at the actual stop cock at the inlet

Just been up to adjust tap. No joy, still makes a noise. Im wondering if its because before being a part 1 the water just flowed straight out, but now being a part 2, the nozzle is on top and its not just a hole but almost like a sieve so it could be restricting it making it noisy
I'm just wondering - is your mains pressure high ? You could have had an equilibrium valve originally - looks similar to a part 1 - just a possibility.

Yeh seems high. What if I change the nozzle on the inside to a bigger hole? Or just repair the old valve and put it back!!!

Brass Equilibrium valves are excellent but expensive. I have used Torbecks which are quiet and use water pressure to self-servo closed. however they are prone to eventually clog and jam with grit or scale. In my district I think it takes at least ten years, but plumbing work can dislodge scale and rust inside pipes earlier. I know how to strip them and wash out, but there may be a more reliable equivalent on the market by now.

I think in Aberdeenshire you should not be troubled by limescale but there may be rust flakes.

Another method is to use, say, a 3/4" valve on a half-inch supply. The velocity will be lower so it will be quieter.

A photo of your old valve may be informative

No, its like a high pitched noise as if the waters restricted as it only does it just as the valves about to close. The old valve never made a noise

I'd suspect Water Hammer, you no doubt turned the supply off to fit the new valve and in doing so have disturbed something else. Put your hand on the pipework when it's making the noise, can you feel any fine vibration?

Just normal vibration as if the waters running. The noise stops when valve is fully open once water level is down a bit in the tank but starts again as its closing. Maybe a cheap valve?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back