New mains water supply replacing shared pipework, diy job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice required please.

I’m in the planning stages of replacing our kitchen and because we are connected to a shared water supply pipe and have variable water pressure to put it mildly I’m considering replacing the mains supply at the same time. The floor in the kitchen will be back to the joists as I’ve got to do some sister jointing so seems an ideal time.

United Utilities will supply a new mains supply foc to the boundary of my property so it’s just a case of the cost of the pipework I’m responsible for and the disconnection from the old supply.

I live in a 100 year old terrace house with no front garden so the boundary of my property is my front wall then the public footpath / road outside. I also have a cellar to the front as well so easy access under the house, the kitchen is at the rear.

Looking at toolstation / screwfix and a local plumbers merchant the cost of materials seems less than £80 (25mm mdpe, 25mm to 22mm stop tap, soil pipe as ducting), I’ve got loads of 22mm copper spare, insulation for the ducting (4” soil pipe) and expanding foam to fill either end.

Is there anything stopping me from doing the bulk of the work myself including connection to the new mains supply and then enlist the services of a plumber to cut my supply from the existing shared pipework so there are no dead legs?

Sponsored Links
Your water undertaker will connect to your new mains communication pipe for you. If you're registered for lead replacement they'll do it for free. Even if you're an approved plumber, you can't legally connect to their pipe yourself. You need to cap off the street end of the MDPE with a compression fitting. And leave them a good couple of metres extra.

In my situation with my boundary being my cellar wall, how do i leave them any pipework to connect up to?

E.g. Cellar wall, public footpath then highway.

newmains.jpg

*proposed pipework

Thanks

They will be digging an access trench, and you will have to leave them a coil of MDPE in your cellar. You will be passing through your footings in the same place as the mains do now I assume? Personally I'd try to be there when they're working, things will be much easier, you can get your sleeve on and get connected all at the same time.
They should be putting your street isolator near your boundary.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info.

You will be passing through your footings in the same place as the mains do now I assume?
The current supply comes into the the rear of the property from a different street via my neighbours so this will be all new to the front from my road. This is why i'm curious about how to marry up the work from my side to the street side.

Well, they'll have to dig for their new pipework, you'll have to find a way through or under the footings to their trench. If you don't know where the new street isolator will be, then you'll have to wait for work to start. You'll have to sort out the finer details with the road gang, they're generally very helpful. If you're going to install your end first, I'd leave plenty of spare to make sure you don't come up short.

Many thanks again bolshy, appreciate all the advice and help.

I might be in luck as in my cellar its looks to have been previously open to the street / pavement for ventilation and filled in at some point. My simple mind is hoping there is only a course or two of bricks between me and the earth under the pavement. If i look at my next door neighbour they still have their cellar opening open and a metal grill on the public footpath.

cellar.jpg

When I had similar problem I had to apply for UU approval and satisfy certain requirements. I worked in conjunction UU local rep.
New water mains ran at the rear of terraced properties, outside the bounderies
Old water mains also ran at the rear but through the yards of each property.
a. dig trench 750mm deep. proposed and used 2in ducting in trench as against using sand. existing fill was all cinders.
b. broke through into kitchen and used 4in ducting including a 45 degree bend. pipe in 4 in ducting to be insulated with 'armaflex'.
c. Other end of trench, broke through under yard wall to the outside.
c. laid pipe, fitted stop cock and drain off tap as required.
Left more than enough pipe outside for connection and informed UU.
Day later went to property and found UU had been and connected.
Dug further trench to expose original lead pipe. Turned off water supply in street. cut leg of lead pipe, fitted stop end and water back on, completed the transfer to connect house pipe work to new supply. opened the UU valve and internal stop cock. following day filled trenches and replaced flags.
Cost around £50. stop cock was about £10 (B & Q ). pipe I think was less than £1 a metre. I did not used soil pipe, got the pipe and ducting from Berry's of Leyland

I don't think you can get armaflex now and I think other makes are permitted with a similar spec. I have seen some similar higher spec insulation in one of the B & Qs. It was 90mm outside diameter and 30mm inside diameter. cost about £10 for a metre

You won't need much insulation on 25mm mdpe to meet the specs. About 20mm wall thickness of half decent 28mm pipe insulation should do. You can buy ready made insulated ducts, but they are a bit dear. As long as you've made the effort to insulate, you'll be fine.

Just to follow this back up.

Did all the work and it was inspected today. UU's signed it off no issues and remarked "wish they were all like this", so i was very pleased. Now waiting for a connection date which depends if they will be running a new main up the street or connect it to an existing potentially lead main.

Thanks again for all the input

I don't think you can get armaflex now
Armaflex, the bogs dollocks of insulation...no longer available?

Pah:
http://www.armacell.co.uk/WWW/armac...Document&Nav=96D2A25B1DF3991E8025774C005BA82A

For up to 28mm OD pipe, 32mm wall, overall OD 92mm @ £8.54 for a 2 metre length. (+ P&P)
http://www.pipelagging.com/c032x028mm-class-armaflex-tube-28mm-pipe-insulation-p-93.html

B&Q are the biggest rip-off merchants in UK retail. They are 300 yards from home. I'd rather drive 2 miles than grace them with my custom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back