New MOT - Brakes Discs significantly worn??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds very subjective. Anyone know what constitutes significantly worn?

Sponsored Links
Worn below the recommended thickness of the disc - which is stamped on when new.
Heavy grooving on the faces constitutes an Advisory (in the old days).
Over to Motman for further clarification!
John :)

Well, it will probably mean worn well below the recommended thickness as we're not allowed to remove wheels (or anything) during the test but it seems to have gone back to the old standards and just like play in wheel bearings, play in steering joints, corrosion on brake pipes, noise from the exhaust etc, all of which are not measurable but purely in 'the opinion of the tester'. We are told that 'significately worn' means it’s about to fail so brake discs that are paper thin, ball joints about to pop out etc. If not significantly worn, it would have been 'pass and advise' but now I believe the term is 'minor fail'.

For clarity, I don’t do MOT's on a regular daily basis. I am registered at a friends testing station and I just help out occasionally these days. I probably only do between 50 and 100 tests a year. I run a motor vehicle training centre and I regularly take my students down to assist in mot's and allow them to watch them being done as part of their training.

Thanks for the replies. I was concerned that some minor grooves would mean a fail but perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily...

Sponsored Links
Last month I replaced front discs and pads on a 61 plate Kia C'eed.......it had just passed its MOT and the brake disc thickness (below the recommended size) was recorded as 'Advisory'.
How the tester got his vernier / micrometer through the wheel spokes was anyone's guess.....there was a significant rust lip on the edge of the disc too.
John :)

Your lucky testing cars, I MOT bikes and there's very little written in stone (brake pad thickness/ tyre depth and wheel runout are about it).

All the rest is personal opinion. Don't know about car testers but you have to work on bikes for a number of years first before being able to take the test training and practical test.

Yeah, you need at least 4 years experience in the trade and a qualification equivalent to at least an NVQ level 3 technical qualification or above unless you take a pre-qualification exam.

If you can't get the brake pads out because of the ridge round the edge - there worn.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back