New oven - Back of oven is touching the plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have just replaced my electric oven but have realised that the back of the oven is touching the plugs (normal 3-pin type) for the hob ignition and the oven itself.
I'm thinking it will probably be fine but would like some advice if possible.
Many thanks

M

Sponsored Links
Is the socket flushed into the wall, or has a surface mounted back box been used as well?

Sponsored Links
Does that socket have a fused switch above the worktop?. If so, you could swop the socket for a FLEX OUTLET PLATE and wire direct into that.
They are much more shallow than a plug&socket.

Yes it does - I was just trying to explain these flex outlet plates things to my wife earlier.

So do you think this would be a good idea? Will the plug get damaged if it is touching the oven?

M

Sounds like the socket IS flushed in. This is where the socket protrudes from the wall about 5-8 mm or so.

They do make wafer socket fronts, for decoration mainly. One of these may just give you a few millimetres to spare. They are a bit chunky at the back though, so wiring it up could be awkward.

Maybe at the back of the oven, there is a bit of a recess somewhere, perhaps the socket could be moved to line up with the recess.

If you do go for something along the lines of two flex outlet plates, I think unswitched fused spurs would be best.

If you do go for something along the lines of two flex outlet plates, I think unswitched fused spurs would be best.
OK thanks for the advice.
I'll have a look - to be honest there's a chance I'll just change the oven for one that fits a bit better (like my old one that has maybe 25 mm to spare at the back)

Cheers

Mark

Likely it will be OK as the oven does not draw 13A for a long time but in theroy 13A plugs should be in free air as the fuse produces heat which needs to be dissipated.

The fuse connection unit (FCU) will get rid of the heat better than a plug and so likely a better option.

I think MK do a modular range where you can build a 4 modular wide unit with a socket and a FCU in a unit which takes up the same space as a standard double socket. Screwfix do the sockets and plates but can't find the FCU module. Maybe others can advise.

However likely there is a cooling fan built into the oven which will cool any standard plug in the carcase in which case there is no problem.

Likely it will be OK as the oven does not draw 13A for a long time but in theroy 13A plugs should be in free air as the fuse produces heat which needs to be dissipated.

The fuse connection unit (FCU) will get rid of the heat better than a plug and so likely a better option.

I think MK do a modular range where you can build a 4 modular wide unit with a socket and a FCU in a unit which takes up the same space as a standard double socket. Screwfix do the sockets and plates but can't find the FCU module. Maybe others can advise.

However likely there is a cooling fan built into the oven which will cool any standard plug in the carcase in which case there is no problem.
Many many thanks!!
M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back