new owner of Alpha CD25C boiler - it's driving me nuts!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

looking for advice here before I contact my installer.

Live in a pokey 2 bed semi-detached with the kitchen wall being an outside wall. The living room is behind the kitchen, sharing the same outside wall, as do the bedroom walls.

I have had an Alpha CD25C combi boiler installed just over a week ago. I know I need to get the installer back in as there is a leaking radiator in the kitchen and some tiling that they have agreed to complete. I have some other concerns that I hope you good people can answer.

My previous system was the gravity fill system and I am not saying it was completely noiseless, as I could hear the boiler firing up, but it was not on constantly. This Alpha seems really loud when the heating is on. Is it because it is flush to the wall or could there be another reason? I can hear the constant hum and it seems to get louder the longer it is on. I also have an issue with the radiators being noisy and the hot water tap in the bathroom is taking ages to receive hot water and when it does it is vibrating and making a screeching noise and the water splurts out rather than being a constant flow.

I am also worried that the external pipework has not been completed correctly. A new pipe was installed to feed in to the gas meter (the house & previous boiler are getting on for 20 years old). The pipe coming from through the wall does not appear to have been secured correctly. The pipe is going through a plastic sleeve, the surrounds of which are cemented in, but there is no fixing between the gas pipe & the plastic sleeve. It was explained to me that this could not be cemented but I was expecting another type of fixing.

Could the boiler be bracketed off the wall to reduce the noise, or could it be moved from the kitchen. The only other place I can think of to put it is the old airing cupboard in the 2nd bedroom which also has an outside wall.

To be fair to the installer I did not mention the fact that I cannot stand humming, but I didn't think it would be as loud as it is. I did raise a slight concern when it was first switched on but the installer said it was one of the quieter ones on the market. Am I being too fussy or are the other problems related to the noisy boiler?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi.

Get your installer back to correct your problem.

New Alphas have good soundproofing, so something elsewhere is causing your problems.

The plastic sleeve which the gas pipe runs through sounds ok.

The hot water shouldn't be spluttering and screeching.
The radiators shouldn't be noisy.

Call him back.

Andy.

I Thought any Gas Pipe Sleeve had to be capable of Transporting Gas in it's own right i.e PLASTIC SLEEVE NOT ALLOWED you should use the next size up of the Gas pipe material i.e Copper or Iron as applicable :confused:

The sleeve should be sealed internally, but left open to atmosphere on the outside.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back