New party to campaign for British values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some do, some don't. Depressingly mood altering drugs don't always make moods better. Brain chemistry is hard.

It's not just hard, it's not consistent between individuals. That said you can chemically cosh people, so they feel very little, which is consistent, but it has serious implications.

Sponsored Links
No one is quite able to define them, except that we're losing them. As people have been complaining since man first discovered how to make fire to cook food I suspect.
we are losing some key British values: respect for the law, respect for democracy, respect for fairness.

Well, my comment was a joke but anti-depressants that make one suicidal would seem to be a misnomer and not too successful.

Sponsored Links
we are losing some key British values: respect for the law, respect for democracy, respect for fairness.

why are they British values?
Did the Brits have respect for the law when we were occupied by the Romans, or living under Dane Law?
Did the Peasants Revolt, or riots against the Poor Law, respect democracy?
Who doesn't respect fairness? That's not "British" but universal.

why are they British values?
Did the Brits have respect for the law when we were occupied by the Romans, or living under Dane Law?
Did the Peasants Revolt, or riots against the Poor Law, respect democracy?
Who doesn't respect fairness? That's not "British" but universal.
Which is the problem whenever someone tries to find <Insert nation> values. There isn't many real differentiators in western democracies.

Great, another racist starting a political party on the basis of nationalistic, sorry, traditional British values, that's what this country needs!

Great, another trot who equates anything to do with traditional British values with negative traits. Another enemy within who actually makes the case for parties with patriotic, right-of-centre policies.

There was a documentary on last week about this, 'twas very interesting. Talked about how the romantics, following the French revolution, starting questioning what national identity was, which gave rise to a lot of nationalistic ideas and poetry (including popular tunes such as Jerusalem)

I didn't see the programme but I've always thought that William Blake's 'Jerusalem' wasn't about Nationalism but how Jesus could exist everywhere and anywhere, even in England. Myth has it that Jesus did visit England (and did those feet, in ancient times etc) because his uncle Joe (Joseph of Aramathea) was a tin merchant who sold tin to the Romans, naturally most of that tin would have come from Cornwall, it would have been churlish for uncle Joe to visit Cornwall and not take his nephew along for the ride at least once, maybe do some surfing, and that's how that myth came about.

Whenever I visit St Mawes on the Roseland Peninsular, I always make a point of stopping at a little church in St Just in Roseland, the church is on the edge of a lagoon, likely an ancient port, which is on a creek off the river Fal, I used to moor a boat there, nice spot.

St_Just_in_Roseland_church_-_geograph.org.uk_-_711430.jpg

The churchyard is a stunning walk with gravestones depicting old sea captains and the like. Sir John Betjeman called it the most beautiful churchyard in the country, and having noted Slough as a bit of a s**thole, he knew his stuff. Anyway, if you wander into the church, reflect a bit, maybe light a candle if you're feeling extravagant, on the way out, pick up the free leaflet on the church history. It does indeed categorically state that Joseph of Aramathea might have visited the 'port' to buy tin and would possibly on one visit have brought his nephew Jesus along for the ride.

Anyway, notwithstanding all that, if you ever wander through this churchyard to the edge of the creek, look out across the Fal toward the sea and hear the church bells ring, you might just start to understand how beautiful a country England is, and how there really is nowhere in the world quite like it.

That you don't know what they are explains a lot.
Oh I know what Brexiteers think they are: stupid arguments about sovereignty and independence and an excuse to moan about foreigners

Danish concepts of .......hygge
Every time me or Mrs Mottie hear the word "hygge" it reminds us of a Peak District holiday a few years back when the word 'hygge" started to become popular. We started saying it for a laugh each time we possibly could. Anyway, first day of our Peak District holiday in a cottage and we'd done a big walk. Got home, had our tea, flopped down in the lounge with a nice glass of red wine on the coffee table, feet up (at the same time as saying "Ah, hygge") and promptly kicked my glass of red all over the beige carpet, sofa and wall! Spent the rest of the week scrubbing/drying/scrubbing/drying the carpet. Just about got it out before we came home. **** hygge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back