New Patio and manhole cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am laying a patio about 3.5 x 3.5 metres. I have dug up the concrete and attach photos - I have discovered what appears to be a redundant manhole cover as it situated an old flower bed. The plan is to lay 100mm MOT 1 base, 40 mm mortar and then the slabs.

I was going to lay over the manhole cover but think a tray may be the best / safest option and to ensure the patio level is the tray level.i will also have a slight gradient from the house.

This is the first time i have laid a patio - does this sound ok or am I missing anything. i was thinking of using blue circle slablayer - is that easier than using mortar?

Attachments

• patio1..jpg
    patio1..jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 109
  • patio2.jpg
    patio2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 109
  • patio3.jpg
    patio3.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
What makes you think it is redundant?

Can you see the DPC?

Are there damp patches on the wall, and are they near the drains and downpipes?

there is another manhole cover in the garden and the previous occupier planted over this cover. do you think it best to put a tray over it just in case as this will allow access if needed and and will look ok? thanks

Sponsored Links
When you have found the DPC you can work out what the finished level of the patio should be.

You will probably have insufficient depth for a tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back