new patio - floating slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -
I have an ambitious client who wants a 'floating' terrace like she's seen at Chelsea Flower Show. Basically it looks like a group of big white concrete slabs which overhang at the edges of the deck forming floating planes -presumably supported on masonry walls hiden underneath.
I cant believe they cast these in-situ at Chelsea. I think they were made off-site then craned into place. The picture I've got to work to is below. ( A crane isn't an option for me! )

Possibly these are natural stone but does anyone know of a supplier of large slabs like this? about 1200 x 1200 x 100? or maybe direct me to a website with some good alternative ideas?

Thanks a lot. View media item 41519

Sponsored Links
How would you move a 1200x1200x100 thick slab without a crane even if you can find one? Remember to reiterate to the client that chelsea gardens are no expense spared and can often go into the 100's of thousands. It's not something you can emulate without putting in serious money.

The best compromise might be to create the cantilever platform in concrete and lay it with large travertine slabs/ tiles, keeping the joints as tight as possible.

The bradstone catalogue has a few pics of their chelsea garden with a more straight-forward although less dramatic edging to a pond. If you google chelsea cobble you'll find it.

The other option as i see it is as you suggested cast in situ and then a polished concrete finish which would look really good with the right aggregates etc but would be pretty frightening to do outdoors in our climate and i'm sure would need subbing out complete with the extra cost and hassle.

Just tell her it'll cost 20 grand and see her reaction!

It is more likely to have been cast resin or composite materials I would imagine. Either way, its gonna be expensive! Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and tell her its hideous, and why would anyone want to look out on that once Chelsea has finished....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back