New Pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi .. wonder if someone can help!!

I want to add a second pendant to my bedroom to run off a single light switch I have run the cable from the switch to the new position.. Do I simply put the new wire in the same terminals as the existing or do I have to run a separate wire from the original pendant to the new one?? Or have I got it totally wrong!!!

If anyone could help I would appreciate it!

Kindest
Neil Moy

Sponsored Links
you need to go from the first to the second pendant with a 3 core cable & connect live neutral & earth in the second as they are in the first, to each other.

I want to add a second pendant to my bedroom to run off a single light switch...I have run the cable from the switch to the new position
Neil, not sure why you have run a cable from the switch.

Lights are normally wired like this.

switch1.jpg

Did you already have a switch working the first light? If so proceed as stated by JJ and wire your second light from the ceiling rose of the first.

Neil,

There are diagrams in the referenece section showing how to wire your lights. The diagram in stargazers reply is a junction box, not a rose, so may not be helpful.

Sponsored Links
The diagram in stargazers reply is a junction box, not a rose, so may not be helpful
The junction box in the diagram is labelled “Ceiling Rose”.
What have I missed :eek:

Only concern I have in running a cable from the original pendant is I already have 3 wires running into the pendant and was concerned I would overload it as there is only room for 3 wires?

Do I need to use a junction box?

Much appreciate everyones help!

Neil

Only concern I have in running a cable from the original pendant is I already have 3 wires running into the pendant and was concerned I would overload it as there is only room for 3 wires?
You won’t overload it but it’s going to get pretty busy in there with 4 cables.
It’s still an option if you wire carefully.

Do I need to use a junction box?
If you can’t get the cable for your new light safely into the existing ceiling rose, then this is your next best option. It needs to be mounted somewhere accessible, probably in your loft.
Use a 20 Amp 4 way junction box and move the wiring from the ceiling rose of your existing light and replicate it in the new junction box. Then take a cable from the new junction box to your existing light, and then one from the existing light to the new light.

Much appreciate everyones help!
You’re welcome. Are you sure you are confident enough to do this work safely?

The diagram in stargazers reply is a junction box, not a rose, so may not be helpful

The diagram labels show a ceiling rose, but the picture is a JB.
If the OP has a rose it will have 3 banks of terminals.
Loop (for the feed in and out) Neutral (as namae suggests) and SW (for the switch wire). There are diagrams in the reference section showing how this is wired. If the OP has a Jb, your diagram is fine.

Loop (for the feed in and out) Neutral (as namae suggests) and SW (for the switch wire). There are diagrams in the reference section showing how this is wired. If the OP has a Jb, your diagram is fine.
It depends how old it is

Yes, but....

Four.

Loop (for the feed in and out) Neutral (as namae suggests) and SW (for the switch wire).
And earth.

There are diagrams in the reference section showing how this is wired. If the OP has a Jb, your diagram is fine.
Electrically they are identical - they support the same system of wiring and provide exactly the same functions - if you can see how it works from that diagram you can see how a rose works. If the JB diagram makes no sense to you then neither will one for a rose...

The OP has a 'New Pendant' so may possibly have a plastic disk, with a strip of brass terminals across the middle of it. If so, it might help if he
looks at the pictures in the technical section.

BAS, I know a rose and a JB are functionally the same, how they are wired and can work out the wiring diagram. I would not assume that somebody else does. Fair point on the earth :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back