Three pendants over breakfast bar reducing to one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm assuming this is pretty straightforward, but would like a bit of reassurance on this thanks -

Above our breakfast bar we have three pendants all under control of a single switch.

We are changing this to a new light which is a single pendant in the position of the central existing pendant.

So - question is - what do I do with the wiring to the existing pendants on the LHS and RHS?

Photos of existing wiring below.

IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1004.JPG

Sponsored Links
Looks as if the supply comes into the fitting in the first pic (in twin & earth) then links to the other 2 using flex.
2 choices;
1 Terminate the LH and RH wiring using maintenance-free connectors in suitable enclosures, stuff them into the ceiling and make good
2 See if there's enough slack on the T & E to get to the centre fitting. See if the flex from centre pic to LH pic moves at the LH end when you tug the centre end, repeat with flex from centre to RH pic. If flexes move freely and there's enough slack on the T & E then junk the terminal block in the LH pic, twist the end of the T & E onto the end of the flex, tape over, carefully pull the flex from centre til the T & E appears. Disconnect flex going to RHS, remove it. Terminate and hang new fitting, patch holes.

Spoke too soon.

Somewhat strangely, the newly fitted light (a single pendant LED) has been working fine, but this evening of its own accord its just gone off. It had been switched on for no more than 15 minutes when it just went off and no longer works.

Before I bring it back down to have a look I'd be obliged by any guidance.
Its just a simple connector block - can't imagine that something has popped out of place. Would it be possible I have a faulty LED starter? Would it be symptomatic of that?
Working away then just giving up the ghost?

I can't think what else it can be. All other lighting off this fuse at the consumer unit is working fine.

Sponsored Links
Loose connection at the fitting, or switch.
Switch faulty.
Light fitting faulty.
Do you have testing equipment ,multimeter or twin probe voltage tester?

Nope, no testing equipment sorry.

The switch was untouched and has been working for years.

The light fitting was a simple connection - two wires screwed in nice and tight. The fitting was straightforward and nothing was under strain or pressure.
I can bring it back down tomorrow and check, but thought it was odd it just went off on its own like that.

No idea what your new light fitting looks like ,or the led type. Is the led integral to the fitting ?
Typical of electrical problems, works one minute ,and suddenly it doesn't !!

Yeah its an integrated LED (long bar above breakfast bar).
An update though. It is actually 'pulsing' very gently. I only noticed it when I switched off all other lights in the room.

Thats *got* to be the starter?

yup - contacted the vendor by email tonight and will organise a replacement. Disappointed.
It was branded (Dar) and not that cheap.

Meant to say thanks for responses.

Nope, no testing equipment sorry.

The switch was untouched and has been working for years.

The light fitting was a simple connection - two wires screwed in nice and tight. The fitting was straightforward and nothing was under strain or pressure.
I can bring it back down tomorrow and check, but thought it was odd it just went off on its own like that.
Did the new fittings instructions mention anything regarding Earthing, as your pictures show the existing Earth to be cut off at the old 1st point

Apologies - the limits of my electrics is wiring plugs and hanging the odd light fitting - I guess its the LV transformer, not the 'starter' I'm referring to.
I suppose it could be anything in the actual fitting that has given up, but nothing serviceable by me thats for sure so back to the vendor it goes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back