new pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :D , i have posted some questions on another forum and i have been given some very helpful information, but before i could get the exact informatioon i was looking for the thread went of subject. So hopefully you guys wont mind pointing me in the a bit in the right direction.

I am surface running some central heating pipework, i have been told that the best method would be to run the pipework on the skirting boards, which is wanted to do but for a couple of different reasons it is not possible. So then it was agreed that is would be fine run the pipework aboe the skirtings.

My problem now is the existing surface run pipework which i am teeing into is run 150mm up from the floor (flow pipe), do you think 150mm is to high to surface run central heating pipework?

As far as i can see i have got 3 options,

run the pipework at 150mm the existing pipework height,

or, replace the existing surface run central pipework and run all surface run pipework above the skirtings but below 150mm (existing height),

or, tee into the existing pipework at 150mm and then when the pipework runs in to the next room where the pipes can be run on the skirtings, drop the pipework down to the skirtings and run the rest of the suface run pipework (2 rooms) along the skirting.

Also i know that if the pipework looks a bit off then boxing in the pipework is a good idea (and i probally will be), but i am just concearned to wheather 150mm is too high for the pipework. You know i want the job to look as good as possible, and function properly.

Hope you can help, thanks :D .

Sponsored Links
keep it above the skirting, avoids being damaged by a vacum or getting kicked by accident ect.

if its solely for aesthetics then it is up to you, as long as you dont go up and down and create potential air traps, if you can't visualise what it will look like try clipping some pipes up without connecting them,

Yeah it is pretty much for aesthetics, i havent surface run a lot pipework before and so was concearned that 150m above floor level was too high, what do you think?

I assume if i droped down to the skirtings from the originlal height then it would cause problems with airlocks?

Sponsored Links
I think it usually looks better juust above the skirting

dips in the pipes cause the airlocks so if the higher pipe is connected to a rad, for example, the air has a means of escape.

I think it usually looks better juust above the skirting

dips in the pipes cause the airlocks so if the higher pipe is connected to a rad, for example, the air has a means of escape.

Thanks for your help so far :D .

Yeah the the flow pipe is the higher pipe (run at 150mm above the floor)and the return pipe is about 20 - 30mm lower, would i be right that if i drop the pipes down to just above the skirts then as the flow pipe (the higher pipe) will be below the radiator (and so dip is also bellow radiator) then the air will still escape through the radiator?

Because that way it will look good and the air will still escape, and so the system will function fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back