New plasterboard ceiling in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to work out what to do about our kitchen ceiling - as preparation for a new kitchen being put in. At the moment we have some kind of plastic panels which have halogen downlight holes cut in them. Through a hole I can see what must be some older ceiling board - which looks only about 10mm thick or so.

I want to get rid of the halogen lights, and just get a couple of pendants installed. I am wondering whether the easiest thing would be to rip our the plastic panels, but then to use battens to create a frame for attaching 9mm plasterboard to. I'd rather not get into the messy business of taking down the old ceiling if I can avoid it.

Any advice on whether this is a good idea? And if I go ahead, what is the best way of co-ordinating this work with the electrician who will fit the pendants?

Thanks
Keith

Sponsored Links
Is it not possible to overboard the existing ceiling, whilst leaving the old one intact, using longer fixings into the existing joists?

You would get the sparks to do his wiring from below as damage to the existing ceiling will become irrelevant, leaving tails ready for the new light fitting once the over-boarding and skimming are complete.

There is no need for additional framing or battens.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the plan is to take down the plastic stuff, and then locate the joists. I saw a couple of references to the additional weight from new plasterboard being a problem - is this likely to be the case? Presumably the choice over the thickness of plasterboard then just depends on the spacing of the joists.

Most of the kitchen (apart from elec and gas) is going to be DIY - so I'm trying to work out what order to do things in! Sounds like once the old ceiling is down the electrician can do his thing, and I can overboard at my leisure (more or less!).

Thanks for the advice. This forum is great.

Keith

Sponsored Links
more or less yes! just be carefull of the ne cables. Also make sure your screws are lond enough to get a firm fixing. We sometimes use a few blobs of gripfill to help in case you miss a joist or two this will stop it from springing and help firm it up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back