New plastic guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, can anyone tell me when renewing a whole guttering system (cast for plastic) what is the best way to go about it?.If you get a starting point for the first bracket then run a string line between the first and last what is the best way to make sure there is a sufficient run for the water to reach the downpipe? not very clued up with guttering? :)

Sponsored Links
good question.

too much fall can look amateurish, too little and you have problems.

check the fascia board is fairly level. if it happens to run down in the direction of the outlet then it is a bonus.

fit the highest bracket as tight as will allow up to the underside of the tiles.

fit the low end about 35mm lower*, depending on the fascia levels.

*based on a 6m run.

guttering can work almost level.

:idea: tip:
when setting brackets to a line, any union brackets can cause lining difficulties, so we fit these after the gutter brackets and the gutter have been fitted.

And don't forget to screw the unions. loads of people don't bother doing this and they will sag over time :)

Sponsored Links
Good point about thlcaee unions.

I have to go out and see jobs where unions have failed due to not being screwed into place.

Personally I use a 1200mm spirit levet with markers on it for 800mm and apply the same gradient between each bracket ie. 2mm to the left or right of the bubble markings on my level.

It works well.

Craig

you may be seeing a genuine case of a union not being screwed, or indeed, it may be fixed but out of line.

the latter happens often.

also, in the instances where rise 'n' fall brackets are used (no fascia), then fixing the unions is not practical. in these cases, the results of misalignment, are easy to see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back