new radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Query about having Radiators replaced......I am looking to buy my father in laws house and just looking for some advise on the radiators.

They are fairly old radiators, just singles heating ones, varies sizes, no thermostats the house is concrete floors.

Would I need to replace these for better heating of the house or can thermostats just be placed on these?

The upstairs ones have pipes that come up from the floor to the left and right bottom sides of the radiators...so would any additional pipe work be required or could new radiators be fitted onto these pipes?

The downstairs pipes come from the ceiling and these connect into the radiators at top and bottom of one side......so would additional pipe work be required or can these pipes connect into new radiators at the top and bottom of one side?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Modern rads with convector fins on them will always be more efficient at heating a room than older non-finned ones. TRVs are a good addition to rads, to control individual room temps. A room stat is important to turn the boiler off when the house is up to the preferred temp. Don't put TRVs on the rad(s) in the room where the room stat is.

It's imporatnt to size rads to the room they're in.

http://www.radcalcs.com/

It's very likely that some piping adjustmets will be needed for new rads. You would certainly want to re-pipe the rads with pipes entering the same side. This is an inefficient way of piping a rad. Best piped either side at bottom.

You can do both if you wish. Fit new valves or change the rads and fit new valves.
New rads have plugs in each end, go and have a look at some, you will see if what I'm saying. The flow and return, that's the pipe in at one side and out the other, can be changed if necessary. Your rads installation is quite normal and would be very simple to update .
Pete

Sponsored Links
Your rads installation is quite normal and would be very simple to update

rads being piped top & bottom on one side is not normal at all & i would be surprised if more than half the rad is working

Sorry, quite right, should have double checked the post. Anyway, still a simple mod to run one of the pipes to the other side and add the new valve. Can't understand why you did not add that to your post.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back