New Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought an Edwardian house which underwent some sort of makeover in the early 60s resulting in truly hideous plate glass windows with louvred glass tops throughout this otherwise fine building (except for all the woodchip, but that's another story...) Unsurprisingly I want to reinstate to wooden sashes etc. The thing is the 60s windows have been fitted into the original Edwardian frames and all the boxes etc are still there. As I simply want to restore the windows rather than replace them will my project still come under the new regs requiring double glazed glass and all that malarkey? I want to make them as original as possible even if that means having authentic draughts and rattles!

Sponsored Links
Yes, it can be done but not sure if this is a diy'er job because it can be a bit tricky. Without seeing I can't help, a good carpenter should help you. Don't worry too much about the new regs if you want to put it back to the original window ;)

I was not intending to do it myself, not least because my toolkit runs to a rusty kitchen knife and a packet of drawing pins. I am going to get my carpenter to do the job, and he's happy to take it on, but I didn't want to run into problems as and when I sell by not having the appropriate certificates to show that the work complied. I would be glad to think that I can just crack on with the work and not worry. The front of my house looks like a supermarket with all that plate glass!

rusty kitchen knife and drawing pins.......limited range of diy projects youll be able to tackle then! ;)

Sponsored Links
Would be able to cut any useless carpenters nuts off and pin 'em to a notice board though :eek:

you will have to officialy conform to regs with regards to double glazing but just get them done quick and who's to know

Thanks for your help guys. I will just do what I want to do and hope for the best. Incidentally, 'susiecam' is not a near relative of 'web cam' but a contraction of my name - I lack the imagination to come up with something witty I'm afraid...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back