New rimless toilet weakest flush ever

I have requested a partial refund (10%) under 2015 Consumer Rights Act as I have had to resolve the issue myself and re-silicone the toilet and access shelf - his reply:
"I have 2 weeks to complete the repairs - you got someone else in so that's down to you. Glad it's sorted"

I've explained that I called him x3 times over 2 weeks to resolve it and he told me it was product not install and I need to buy a new toilet... it's people like this that get tradesmen a bad name. I've sent a "Letter Before Action" and will go through small claims if need be; and trading standards. There's a principle at stake here!

Another customer would have listened to him, paid for a new toilet, and paid him to fit it!!

Sponsored Links
As long as you can prove you contacted him and he didn't act on that then quite right, it's guys like that that give the plumbing trade the bad name and it's not on. He could have quite easily have sorted it and he didn't bother his a$$.

You could also potentially use this post to prove that this has been at least nearly 2 weeks in discussions and this post was obviously started after the 'job' was completed.

Never liked these concealed cisterns where you cannot access properly. I get my joiner mate to make the unit cover removable by sliding it up and down with biscuit joins in grooves. Will try to upload pictures.

Sponsored Links
As long as you can prove you contacted him and he didn't act on that then quite right, it's guys like that that give the plumbing trade the bad name and it's not on. He could have quite easily have sorted it and he didn't bother his a$$.

You could also potentially use this post to prove that this has been at least nearly 2 weeks in discussions and this post was obviously started after the 'job' was completed.
Yeah - he actually came round the first time my dad called him to say it doesn't flush anything. He flushed it himself and thats when he said we needed a new toilet! So he came and saw it and still did nothing...

Yeah - he actually came round the first time my dad called him to say it doesn't flush anything. He flushed it himself and thats when he said we needed a new toilet! So he came and saw it and still did nothing...
Yeah, well I'd say he was given his chance to sort it and he didn't, regardless of any timescale. As far as he was concerned it couldn't be fixed therefore negating the 2 week timescale.

He bodged the job, created the problem and then didn't even entertain the possibility that it could be his work and it could be fixed and then just blamed the hardware, simples.

Update - I sent them a detailed "Letter before Action" outlining the timeline and issue, correspondence with them, pan and cistern manufacturer, and this forum including photographs and links to the flush videos. I asked for £400 refund to cover the costs to put their work right or I was going through small claims.

They have agreed to refund £400 "as a goodwill gesture", saying they were never given the chance to fix it, and still not accepting responsibility, but voiding warranty on the entire install as we have had a 3rd party in to do work.

TBH I wouldn't have them back even if there were issues - especially as my parents heard him threatening to "come round and do me" on the phone!

Hopefully this is the end of a very stressful experience!!

Again - thank you all for your support and input - it was very helpful.

'Come round and do you' my God!
Thing is, if you've sent links to this thread then they will definitely have read it.
To be honest, at first it probably would seem like it was a problem with the toilet or the flush BUT once you showed him the pics of the silicone he should have held his hand up and took the blame and that would be that. Once you could see all that silicone it would be clear what has happened to cause the problem, he had an itchy trigger finger. End of.
And yes, he will be reading this right now!!!

It would be difficult for them to void the warranty on the whole bathroom just because you got someone to sort the loo out.

Apropos them not accepting responsibility, fair enough, you have got £400 back regardless.

The threats however are another matter... in the event that something does fail within 12 months, and you need to use the small claims court to cover any costs, I think that on the balance of probability, the judge will find in your favour.

BTW- M&R Building Joinery & Maintenance have only been trading since April this year.

The address listed seems to be their accountant's address.

voiding warranty on the entire install as we have had a 3rd party in to do work.
They can't. They can reasonably removed the warranty for the toilet, as that wasn't thenrepaired by them but they can't just defer liability on the other works, as that would still be covered by statutory rights.

Again just re-enforce that they were given the chance to repair and they refused. That refusal to repair was given by their operative saying that it wasn't an install fault and said - "the cistern and toilet are not compatible as they are eco items and always have a poor flush". Therefore effectively refusing the look at repairing. As that was the case then as far as you were concerned that was their opportunity to fault find and fix and they refused it. Given that you were then forced to use another party to find fault and repair with it subsequently being found that it was their installers shoddy/cowboy work that caused the problem.

That information would hold up through any of their arguments. It was quite simply their installers fault and their representative tried to fob you off with a complete load of rubbish that the products were at fault. In the event of any subsequent issue with anything else in installation and it falls within a reasonable warranty call then you will be expecting them to honour that.

Make sure you disagree with their warranty void statement and that the acceptance of the £400 in no way absolves them of responsibility for the other works included in the renovation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back