new roof leaking, photos here, help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's our new roof, it's not good, unfortunately we have already paid for it. Other than it not looking great, there is water appearing from behind the soffits and soaking the outside wall. Can anyone shed some light as to why this would happen? The soaking happens even in light drizzle on a windless day. The builder has been back and stuffed some plastic damp course membrane from the eaves further into the gutters, but it's made no difference. The finishing around the velux windows looks like a dog's dinner but I don't know if it has been done technically correctly. During the freezing weather there was a build up of ice which dammed the gutters and caused the roof to leak into the new extension, it's not happened again since so fingers crossed. The roof is a 15 degree pitch and the slates are marley melbourne. Any suggestions much appreciated, I need as much ammo as possible. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Right where do we start!

Check that tiles have enough headlap on every course for that pitch of roof, should be minimum 65mm headlap on those tiles, looks like tiles have been overspaced horizontally.

The tiles that are cut into the velux, some have been left short and they are kicking up, the nibs that overlap the flashing kit should have been removed by grinding them down with a disc cutter.

The lead flashing that joins the abutment wall needs a secret grp gutter especially at this pitch, it hasnt got one and the lead flashing is cut too short and it seems to be directing the water straight into the soffit.Ideally there should be another cut tile under this lead.

The verge with the mastic beading is outrageous, probably not a cause of leaking but it looks awful.

The eaves guard/dpc at the gutters??? whats that all about, should have the rigid support trays all the way along not unsupported dpc, especially important on a roof of this pitch.

My advice, get back what you can off this builder and employ a decent ROOFER to strip it all off and redo it, the lead flashing along the top looks ok and all the material should be there so shouldnt cost too much, about £400.00 as a guesstimate.

Hope this helps

Good advice from Regency :)

OMFG-Cat.jpg

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

158000_157168_29744_66874249_thumb.jpg

Take a side picture of this please.

YES !!!! , side picture please !!!

It looks as if he's got a bit excited about running the verge and left a "deposit" all over the tiles !

Sponsored Links
God that verge is rough!!!Why did they not just run a length of continuous dry verge up.is that insulated with kingspan or similar by any chance

I bet the roofer rode away at sunset on his Appaloosa stallion, waving his Stetson hat in the air hollering " YeeHa." ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated, here's a few more pics to cringe at. Am I right in thinking that if the wall is getting wet from behind the soffit the the only thing keeping water out of the house is the felt membrane?
I'm not keen on getting this guy back as he's already been back once, what would people advise? Getting the work done by a professional and getting them to send him an invoice? Me sending him the invoice. Small claims? Solicitor?

Good Lord, thats shocking! Needs taking up and relaying, those leadsaddles on the parapets are doing nothing and will need addressing, more like £1000 than £400, who knows what else you might find wrong once its taken off?

One (another) glaring error is that there are no slate+halves used, he's used half slates instead which may go walkies in the wind (verge should be clipped as well)

I'd redirect that downpipe end as well, bad idea to take the water from the main roof to go to the top of the roof-lights.

OMG. What a mess. Just started leaking behind the soffit in a new place, never done it here before, very very light drizzle.
Waiting on 2 roofers to come and quote/advise.

No point trying to even diagnose all the possible faults on here, I doubt they can be fixed individualy.
The whole thing needs stripping and starting again, then it's off to the small claims.

maybe i was a little under on price at £400 as there will be the need to supply a bit more lead , undercloaking, eaves trays etc, i reckon its no more than a days work for two men.

I wouldnt let this animal back on your roof even if he offers to strip the roof for free, he obviously isnt qualified for the job.

Contact him and tell him you are getting the roof redone but you dont dont want him to do it and ask him to cover the cost.

If he wont show him this thread, should be enough to embarrass him into refunding.

Still no joy- small claims im afraid which you will win .

I'm not keen on getting this guy back as he's already been back once, what would people advise? Getting the work done by a professional and getting them to send him an invoice? Me sending him the invoice. Small claims? Solicitor?

Even though you don't want him back, you should still give him the chance to get it sorted even if he gets someone else to do it. Thats the first thing small claims/a solicitor will advise you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back